Cider - Blowoff??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drudini11

Reaction score
I'll be making a 5 gallon batch this weekend using White Labs WLP775 English Cider Yeast. I have done a few 1 Gallon batches of Cider before using standard wine yeast and never had any issues with blowoff but not sure what to expect with the 5 gallon batch. Figured I'd use the 6.5 Gallon Glass Carboy for primary and probably just standard 3 piece airlock unless there is a high probability that I'll have some blowoff in which case I'll go with standard blowoff tube. Any feedback with regard to expectation of blowoff would be appreciated.

You can get a little bit of krausen depending on the yeast you use, but 1.5G of headspace will be more than enough, i wouldn't bother with a blowoff tube.

I did 5G of orchard fresh cider in a carboy with maybe a half gallon of headspace with wy4766 and there was a small amount of foam that made it up into the tube early on, it wouldn't have been enough to clog a 3 piece airlock. Now there's just a small layer of foam on the top, maybe 1/8". When i used montrachet with store bought apple juice (edwort's apfelwein) there was absolutely no krausen at all, i could have filled that carboy up to the neck.

I fermented 2 gallons of Kirkland apple juice with a pack of Windsor in a Mr beer keg and almost had it blow out.

I made a 4 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy this weekend with WLP775 English Cider Yeast, and after 24 hours cider was coming up through the airlock. I attached a blow off tube this morning before work. My OG was 1.063 with just under 2 lbs of brown sugar added.
Interesting side note...I made a noob mistake and didn't burp the WLP775 vial after shaking and letting it sit out on the counter for a few hours before pitching. It sprayed like a seltzer bottle when I opened it and I lost half the vial's contents. I pitched what was left, but after about 24 hours I seem to have a very vigorous fermentation. From what I read WLP775 is a pretty vigorous yeast.

i did fresh pressed cider with wine yeast (71b) and definitely needed more headspace. ive done regular juice and never had a krausen.

better save than sorry.

Back