Cider Beer using hops and extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurlyGirl

Reaction score
I happened upon 15gallons of pears this fall and have crushed and pressed them into raw cider. Now, I have a hair brained idea to sub the cider for some of the water in a beer recipe to make a fruity beer. I've had a really hard time finding something that uses lots of juice. Is that because it isn't a good idea?? Has anyone had success with a recipe like this and how did you do it?

From what I've been able to find, we should be using champagne yeast instead of brewers yeast for a drier end result. I found a tasty sounding recipe: http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_0.htm

For an example, how might one go about converting this to use raw cider?

Found this one on here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/dog-fish-head-midas-touch-71861/
but I don't want anything spicy. 1qt. of concentrate would make a lot of juice, could I just use juice instead of the concentrate and water? I wouldn't want to boil the cider, though, so there's that...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Yeah, just do a graff with pear instead of apple. Has your pear cider been pasteurized yet? You'll want to do that to lower risk of infection.

I just did an experimental 2gallon batch of graff a few days ago. I'm interested to see how that turns out.

Brandon O's Graff recipe would be a great place to start. I brewed a 5 gallon batch of it 3 weeks ago and cracked the first bottle tonight. I must say it is excellent!

Has your pear cider been pasteurized yet? You'll want to do that to lower risk of infection.

It hasn't been, yet, but I found another post on here (now, where did I put it?? :drunk:) about that. I'm going to need to start an entire Bookmarks folder just for this forum. So much great info!!

And thank you BGBC for that link. Once I tackle the frightening words (torrified wheat...Crystal 60L..) I'll be well on my way! At this point, I'm not concerned with knowing how it all works just want to make something tasty.

It hasn't been, yet, but I found another post on here (now, where did I put it?? :drunk:) about that. I'm going to need to start an entire Bookmarks folder just for this forum. So much great info!!

And thank you BGBC for that link. Once I tackle the frightening words (torrified wheat...Crystal 60L..) I'll be well on my way! At this point, I'm not concerned with knowing how it all works just want to make something tasty.

I feel your pain. I'm learning a lot of the same things now myself. I believe torrified grain is just puffed grain like you see in a lot of breakfast cereals. Flaked grain is when it's a flat round piece like you often see with oats and granolas. L or EBC ratings for grain have to do with the color, the higher the darker. Beyond that, I think I've learned a few more things, but since I might be wrong I won't risk confusing you further.

i'm in on the Graff idea as well. personally i would do a lighter caramel grain because i feel that pear flavor's are less intense/more fragile than apple. no higher than C40.

interested in how this turns out as well.

another thought would be a saison. if you could make a concentrate and freeze it until may it would be neat to see how that turns out.

Latest posts

Back