Christmas Spice BOMM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loveofrose

Reaction score
This recipe is loosely based on wayneb's Christmas Spiced Metheglin with a BOMM twist. I believe credit should be given where it is due.

I wanted something Christmas-sy quick, so here we go:

Christmas Spice BOMM - 1 gallon

Started by making 2 cups of tea using the following massive list of spices:
1 tsp Ancient Forest black tea
1 tsp Yerba Mate
1/4 stick cinnamon
1/8 tsp mace
2 pieces china ginger
2 allspice berries
1 clove
2 juniper berries
1/4 whole nutmeg
1/8 Star anise
1/8 Star anise seed
I let it brew on the spice for about an hour, then strained and added to carboy. Smelled wonderful.

Added 3 lbs orange blossom honey to a one gallon carboy.
Added 1.5 cups apple cider.
Added the juice of 2 cuties and peels without the pith.

Added 1/4 tsp DAP and 1/2 tsp of Fermaid K. (I'll add these again at 2/3 (1.08) & 1/3 (1.04) sugar break.)

Add 1/2 tsp K2CO3. One time addition. Increased the amount to compensate for the acidity of the fruit juice.

Added a slurry of Wyeast 1388.

I plan to add a vanilla bean and any other spices that need to be fortified post fermentation.

Better brewing through science!

Day 2

Gravity 1.09. Added double nutrient as I'll be busy. Smells great.

Day 12

Gravity 1.000. Damn this is good and it hasn't even cleared yet. You get a lot of orange with some Yerba mate spiciness. It finishes with a bit of clove surrounding your tongue. The best part is how soft it feels on the palate. A little hard to describe, but very delicious. I'm cold crashing this now. Santa is drinking this on Christmas!

I'm sorry. Allow me to clarify. What exactly are you concerned about adding upfront. The honey? The spice? I would be more than happy to answer your question, but I need a clear question to answer.

Why not add the tea, the spices, all the additives in secondary.

I feel you may lose a lot of the flavors if put in primary.

Ah, ok. I use the tea upfront to try and control the spices better. If you add to secondary, the spices can become overwhelming very quickly. In addition, it is very difficult to get the balance of different spices right by adding direct to secondary when you have more than one spice addition.

In this case, there are way too many spices. I've found making a tea for base spice, then adding in secondary one or two spices that need bolstering works out much better. Also, I want this to be ready by Christmas, so I have to make sure I don't over spice.

I tasted last night. Very delicious as it is. I can wait for it to clear so I can bottle it!

Where did you get the juniper berries? (Skyrim?)

And how strong is the anise at this level? I appreciate licorice taste but it's probably my least favorite spice.

Where did you get the juniper berries? (Skyrim?)

And how strong is the anise at this level? I appreciate licorice taste but it's probably my least favorite spice.

Dried juniper berries are a commonly used brining herb. I got them at my grocery store.

Anise is more of a blended in flavor than a noticeable one. If I didn't tell you it was there, you couldn't pick it out. You would miss it if it wasn't there though. The predominate flavor is orange, but all the other spices create a rich complex background.

Back