Choosing name for my son

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baby name

• Rylan Wade Miller

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Dakota “Kody” Waylon Miller

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Orion (Wolff or Westley) Miller

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters

Miller4

Reaction score
My wife and I are expecting our second son in August. With our first son it was super easy picking a name and we were both 100% confident in it. Now we can’t for the life of us decide on our second sons name. We have names we really like but don’t have that same confidence in just one particular name this time. So I figured I’d ask a bunch of random people their thoughts just for fun. Three top choices are

Rylan Wade

Dakota (probably call him Kody) Waylon

Orion (either Wolff or Westley or some other W name)

E34B3348-7CB7-4A30-8A83-586A66A95530.jpeg

Even if you don't figure it out before he comes, don't worry. It'll come to you. We couldn't decide on a name for our third, either. We didn't name her until she was three days old. Hell, my parents changed my name when I was a month old. They swapped my first and middle names, and for some reason started calling me Jake, which has nothing to do with anything! And I turned out FINE if you don't ask anyone.

When your son is born, and you look him in the face, you and your wife will know exactly which name suits him. It may not even be one of those three. And it may take 3 days, as it took us and @cloudybrewer. The nuns in the hospital became very pushy.

This thread may become an interesting conversation subject later on, so save it for posterity (save whole pages in .MHTML). But I think the last thing you want to tell him is that "one night a bunch of drunkards on a beer forum decided on your name..." :tank:

I voted for Dakota Waylon, but like Rylan Wade just as much.

My son's name is Aaron Alexander, he's 28, has never complained about it, at least to me.

I just won’t tell him I was one of the drunkards... haha. Thanks though, we aren’t really that worried. It’s just funny that we were so certain with our first son and are now hym hawking around. We agree though, it’ll probably come to us right when we get to see him for the first time.

I voted for Dakota Waylon, I would actually switch those though and make it Waylon Dakota. Congrats on the new baby!
I like Waylon as a first name too, another idea was Waylon Roderick, middle name after my grandpa. It has a nice ring to it I think.

I'm not voting. Those options suck.

Roller Miller is definitely better than Corona Miller. People would keep trying to put limes on top of him.

or Superfly Sparge Miller. Superbatch is a weird first name.

Keg Miller sounds better than Bottle Miller for sure.

Secondary Miller is right out.

My vote is Chalupa Batman

I voted for Dakota but as everybody is saying, it will come to you and you'll just know. With our firstborn, we had 3 different names picked out. We didn't decide until we met the little guy. We both looked at each other and knew.

When your son is born, and you look him in the face, you and your wife will know exactly which name suits him. It may not even be one of those three. And it may take 3 days, as it took us and @cloudybrewer. The nuns in the hospital became very pushy.

This thread may become an interesting conversation subject later on, so save it for posterity (save whole pages in .MHTML). But I think the last thing you want to tell him is that "one night a bunch of drunkards on a beer forum decided on your name..." :tank:

I voted for Dakota Waylon, but like Rylan Wade just as much.

My son's name is Aaron Alexander, he's 28, has never complained about it, at least to me.

So wait.. you're an avid homebrewer and your son's initial's are AA?

Did you subliminally message yourself?

My vote goes to something classic - not a fan of all the trendy new names like Terducken or Kaisynn... Nothing wrong with a strong American boy's name like Cary or Sue

Last edited:
A couple who are close friends of our daughter and SIL are expecting a girl in October. Our daughter's oldest son is 4 and he told them they should name the baby Sally. Ever since, they and their circle of friends and family have been calling the baby Sally, though they insist they aren’t going to name her that.

At our youngest grandson’s 1st birthday party this past weekend I pointed out to the couple that, no matter what they name the baby, their friends will call her Sally for the rest of her life.

First off congrats on another kid! So I have 5 kids and to be honest you can’t really know the name until you see them.

My oldest daughter was named by the nurse, as usual all the nurses asked what her name was going to be and we weren’t sure, so after she was born every once in awhile she would just pop in and blurt out a name and Victoria stuck!

So don’t be concerned you’ll figure it out but I’m going to suggest Xavier it’s a distinguished name.

That's why you can't pick a legit name like Sally. I think a lot of people I know called their baby "bean" before the baby arrived (some are Rowan Atkinson fans, though). We called my son "Smurf", and friends of ours called theirs "minion".

It can be kind of fun to invent the pre-birth names, too.

With all due respect, If you come here as part of your decision, you have a much bigger problem than thinking of a name.
Congrats on the upcoming blessed event, but please, give your child the respect of naming him without influence from a bunch of strangers.

I seen this same picture before...but the boys name wasn't beer...it was B.J. :D

Seriously, I have 3 kids myself. don't stress on the name. IMHO, as long as its a respectful name and not a joke, the childs personality and behavior will define him more than the name itself. Pick the name...pray about it...have a beer over it....and go for it. Congrats!

With all due respect, If you come here as part of your decision, you have a much bigger problem than thinking of a name.
Congrats on the upcoming blessed event, but please, give your child the respect of naming him without influence from a bunch of strangers.
Don’t worry, I’m just having fun being part of the forum, I’m not naming our son baby mcbabyface because hbt told me to.

That's why you can't pick a legit name like Sally. I think a lot of people I know called their baby "bean" before the baby arrived (some are Rowan Atkinson fans, though). We called my son "Smurf", and friends of ours called theirs "minion".

It can be kind of fun to invent the pre-birth names, too.
Our first son was fire bean, and this one is jumping bean.

We had a similar issue with our 2nd born.... Several name options but none that jumped out at us...

Fortunately, our first born, said " I don't care what you name her, I'm going to call her ______"

So there it was. The only person who had a clear idea of what the name should be.

We choose a name whose diminutive matched what #1 son wanted. And it's perfect.

We choose the middle name from among our other choices that fit the chosen 1st name and we're golden. Worked out perfectly.

So my suggestion is: ask the boy what to call the newcomer

[emoji16]

Orion, Ryan for short. Much better than Ursus Major, Betelgeuse, or Alpha Centauri. Seriously though, I think Orion is a pretty cool name for a kid. Named for the great hunter in the sky!
Regards & congrats, GF.

Back