Choosing apple varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHCider

Reaction score
Hello all! First post here.

I'm looking to plant 3 apple trees on my property in Southern New Hampshire for cider making. I'm having trouble deciding on the varieties though and would love some input. I was thinking one tart, one medium, and one sweet apple. Specifically I'm looking at Franklin (supposedly similar to Kingston black), Gala, and winesap. I am, however, open to other suggestions. I'm looking at dwarf tree on stark bros, so any variety there is acceptable. Bonus points if at least one of them is good for eating, as the SO would appreciate that.

One of my apple trees is Cox's Orange Pippin (now about 5 Y.O.). Claude Jolicoeur writes it up as "one of the most highly acclaimed of all English apples". "Its culture is considered to be difficult. For cider the fruit is often considered as too expensive to grow in large enough quantities, but in the regions where it thrives it is excellent".

There is an orchard in Tasmania's Huon Valley (simplecider.com.au) that produces a straight COP cider from old trees planted in the late 1800's. Up until now I have only used my COP apples to blend with others (mostly with eating apples) because this is the first year that I have had a large crop. Mind you, last year's COP+Granny Smith cider was excellent.

Although Jolicoeur points out that it won't tolerate winter temperatures colder than zone 5 (I don't know what that means in the USA and Canada) it grows well where we are. Both the Tasmanian climate and ours here in the foothills of the mountains (@ 1000M or 3000 ft) are similar, being very roughly 40 degrees from the equator which is sort of similar to New Hampshire (our mid winter can get down to -10C but most of the time is only just below freezing overnight).

The point of all this is that they are also great eating apples. Hope this helps.

We have a cox's in south western ontario (canada), though my dad eats them all. I just planted a golden russet based on multiple recommendations for cider. Good luck!

Back