Choosing a Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmhbutler

Reaction score
To begin, I realize there are many lengthy threads on this but I cannot get a black and white answer to my situation.

I am in the process of adding a HERMS coil to my HLT. I will be using it for the interim for 5G batches while continuing using my cooler as a mash tun. As a result, it's only real purpose will be to increase temps at mashout.

My questions is - will a 12V pump, similiar to the brown pump or that on OBK, be sufficient for the current need.

(I realize when I increase to a 10G setup will require investing in a better pump.)

Last edited:
Thanks SteelManCM,

The guy at the store told me it wouldn't have the horsepower for HERMS. Is there a possible downside I might be overlooking?

I have three of these pumps in my system. I have to slow their flow rates for mashing and sparging, they are pretty beefy for what they are. I do have a 12v power supply that drives them and outputs clean power, though. Most issues I have seen with these are used with cheap phone chargers or such with not very clean power.

Check this out. It's what I use:
http://imperialhops.blogspot.com/2015/02/time-to-detail-pump-controller-box.html

I'm always slowing down my flow (I go Kettle, Plate Chiller, Pump, Carboy) to make sure the beer is chilled... so a lower HP pump might not be a problem unless pumping up in height is an issue (5 gal carboy height does not strike me as tall). I did try and use an RV water pump initially but it seemed to agitate and oxygenate...

Good luck!

They also make a 24 volt model for practically the same price if power is something you are concerned about. It doesn't sound like you are going to have an issue.

I have used both the 12v and now 24v versions of the tan food grade pumps and they work extremely well they are plenty strong enough to pump 3 ft or more upward. I actually measure 2.1 gallons or so per minute with my flow meter after pulling the liquid through my grainbed and through my valves,hoses,rims tube and flow switch and back up to the sparging arm while recirculating.... I brew 50/50 between 5 and 10 gallon brews.

there is a picture in my thread below which show how much flow they push at about 2ft head height.
they also worked just fine with my old herms setup.

Thanks for all the info! I like that power box, it would compliment my system well once I get additional pumps as I only gave my panel a single pump switch.

You use 12V, 10A source for 3 switches, I guess the issue is getting an adapter with high enough wattage. If I found an old computer adapter with at least 3A for my single pump this should be sufficient for the time being?

Thanks for all the info! I like that power box, it would compliment my system well once I get additional pumps as I only gave my panel a single pump switch.

You use 12V, 10A source for 3 switches, I guess the issue is getting an adapter with high enough wattage. If I found an old computer adapter with at least 3A for my single pump this should be sufficient for the time being?

You can also add pwm speed controller instead of restricting the pumps with a ball valve.. I use the same type of powersupply as steelman only I swapped out my 3 12v pumps with 3 24v pumps which work better and pump a bit faster..

each 12v pump only draws .8ma so you can run all 3 off of 1- 3amp supply...

I initially purchased a 12V/1A phone charger on ebay; however, SteelManMC mentioned how cheap phone charges can cause problems by not supplying clean power.

Can anybody suggest a quick fix until I have time/funds to build a power box? Perhaps looking for a better quality computer charger at a thrift store?

To the original post - pumps are rated for flow and head(height of pumping, friction losses basically). At zero head, a pump may do 3 GPM; at 10 ft of head, it may do 0 GPM. So if you are going real high and have a narrow, restrictive HERMS coil, the little pump may not be enough. Low flow may also slow how fast you can mash out.

Very true, @RichBenn. I sparge at 3ft head. I'll be testing out my new fermenter tomorrow. Transferring to that will be 4.5ft head. These little pumps are rated for 2.4 gallons @ 3ft head. I'll find out tomorrow if the extra distance has an appreciable negative impact.

Very true, @RichBenn. I sparge at 3ft head. I'll be testing out my new fermenter tomorrow. Transferring to that will be 4.5ft head. These little pumps are rated for 2.4 gallons @ 3ft head. I'll find out tomorrow if the extra distance has an appreciable negative impact.

Again just an option if missed but If the flow is not satisfactory the 24v versions of these same pumps do pump about 3.2 gallons per minute which I measured with my flowmeter and are stronger than the 12v versions. Im sure amazon has US distributors that will ship them as well...

if you just mount them to the exit valve of your mt or hlt they will give to better flow than trying to mount on a shelf below like the bigger pumps....

To the original post - pumps are rated for flow and head(height of pumping, friction losses basically). At zero head, a pump may do 3 GPM; at 10 ft of head, it may do 0 GPM. So if you are going real high and have a narrow, restrictive HERMS coil, the little pump may not be enough. Low flow may also slow how fast you can mash out.

I believe I did mentioned it , But the 12v version worked fine for both my herms as well as my plate chiller... and I used the more restrictive 3/8 copper coil.

Low flow is also a benefit for clearer wort with less chance of channeling or a stuck sparge.. It can also help with longer contact time in the herms or rims which equals full/better temp adjustments..

Just to update, the 12v pump kicked @ss on the 4.5 head transfer to the fermenter. No difference in flow rate at all. I'm consistently impressed with these little pumps.

Back