Choosing a lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownni5

Reaction score
How does one choose a lager yeast? I like to experiment with different yeast strains, and am really into lagers right now, but the differences in lager yeast seem so subtle from the descriptions, I'm not sure how to choose.

I've been brewing with the S. arlingtonesis strain from Bootleg Biology and really like it most of the time, but a recent Dunkel came out lacking malt character - could very well have been the grain bill since AA was lower than I usually see with this strain and should have left a good bit of sweetness.

I'm looking now at Wyeast 2352PC - Munich Lager II. The description sounds good, but not that much different than a lot of other lager strains. I also saw a chart that lists this as the Augustiner strain, and equivalent to Harvest from Imperial. This same chart also shows some obvious errors, so not sure how much I trust it. The Harvest strain gets good press from the Brulosophy guys, and I would like to try that, but my preferred supply store (Ritebrew) doesn't carry Imperial.

Thoughts on how to choose a lager yeast? Is there enough difference to justify the yeast labs marketing a dozen or more strains?

Imperial Harvest is a great yeast, I use it for 90% of my lagers. If out of stock at my LHBS, I use WLP830, White Labs German Lager. For Czech beers I use Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager. Those three yeasts are pretty much all I have ever used, except for an occasional release from the White Labs Yeast Vault,

When looking for a bit more maltiness, try the Budvar strain Wy2000 if you can find it. My favorite all the around lager is Wy2206. I’ve not used Imperial. My local carries WL, so that is what I normally get.

I use WLP940 for adjunct lagers. Very clean and predictable.
It just really depends on what you're brewing though.

i have only ever used 2206 and an Augustiner yeast from a local brewery. I have been happy with both and haven’t experimented beyond those.

I'm big on 34/70...two packets sprinkled on the top and you're good to go.

Medal winners for my German Pils and Munich Helles with it...so my motto if ain't broke don't fix it.

I am interested in IO Harvest though...and have heard good things about WLP830 just no experience with it as of yet.

This omega yeast is supposedly the Augustiner yeast and I’ve used it more than a few times with great success

https://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/837114.htm
I think choosing a lager yeast is all context. So I generally choose one based off of ease of use since I just brew lagers in my basement Jan-March- so temps are really what I pay attention to.

if that’s not an issue, I’d look at descriptions

I’m trying out Omega German I this year that seems to work with my temps and hope to use it into April/may.

brewing a pilsner today

Last edited:
I'm big on 34/70...two packets sprinkled on the top and you're good to go.

Medal winners for my German Pils and Munich Helles with it...so my motto if ain't broke don't fix it.

I am interested in IO Harvest though...and have heard good things about WLP830 just no experience with it as of yet.

I admit it. I'm a yeast whore. I love to try new and different yeasts.

With that said, for some reason I always gravitate back to Chico for ales and WLP-830 for lagers. Always good, predictable results. Multiple medals using both, including one Best of Show with WLP-830.

When in doubt, dance with the one what brung ya'.

Brooo Brother

I admit it. I'm a yeast whore. I love to try new and different yeasts.

Don’t get me wrong...I like trying different Ale yeasts...I try mixing it up with the ales in the rotation...my lagers though I’ve been more hesitant to branch out because of the results I’ve been getting. I recently tried the Lallemand Koln Kolsch yeast...it was FANTASTIC! Highly recommend it!

Latest posts

Back