Choose three hops to use for the rest of the year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klinus

Reaction score
I've only been brewing since january, and this summer I realized i went too fast ahead, tried different grains, yeasts, hops and beer styles every brew, which means I can't really tell what I'm doing good and what I'm doing bad, cause I don't know where the flavors come from.

So I've decided to brew the same beer, with just small differences to technique for at least the rest of the year, or until i've nailed the technique. Im gonna do a simple IPA, and i've decided the grains to be around 90% pale ale 2 row, and then caramel 30l.
The yeast i haven't decided yet, but probably something like us05.

Now to the hops, what do you think? Ive made a lot of tropical fruity beers lately and they've been almost too fruity. I want that perfect mix of piney hard taste and fruity fresh hops.

I like simcoe a lot, so maybe simcoe and... Amarillo? And... what else is there?

What three hops would you choose?

Columbus is a good dual purpose hop and works well in an IPA. Since you mention piney specifically Id go with simcoe. Finally cascade or centennial, dual purpose as well with good flavor and aroma. Works well with simcoe.

Centennial, Liberty, Willamette.
I grow Centennial & Liberty and buy anything else in bulk.
I think I'm already brewing with only three hops in any given year.

Skip Fuggles unless you like drinking dirt. Chinook, Simcoe and Amarillo makes a solid IPA. If you want something really different try El Dorado.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I think you should add vienna to your grain bill. I like 9lbs of 2-row, 3lbs of vienna and 1 of C-20 or 40. Mash at 150. Warrior to bitter, centennial, and I like falconers flight for late additions.

I'd go two groups of 3, then split the year.

6mons - Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial
6mons - Sterling, Nugget, Willamette

Then I can brew whatever I want with the leftovers...

Cascade, Simcoe (APA, IPA, American Browns)
Goldings (Stouts, porters, bitters, English Browns, milds)

I have yet to find any hops that I truly dislike. But, if I really had to limit myself I would stick to American pales and IPAs.

Centennial and Cascade for sure. Maybe Nugget for bittering.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Whoa, thats a lot of responses!

Cascade i've tried and liked a lot, I brewed it together with amarillo and simcoe and that combination is what I lean towards at the moment!

But a lot of people are mentioning centennial, and I've never tried them. I see that they are related to cascade, so much question is, is it unnecessary to have both centennial & cascade in the same brew?
Like simcoe, centennial, cascade.

Cascade i've tried and liked a lot, I brewed it together with amarillo and simcoe and that combination is what I lean towards at the moment!

But a lot of people are mentioning centennial, and I've never tried them. I see that they are related to cascade, so much question is, is it unnecessary to have both centennial & cascade in the same brew?

You can try a 100% centennial if they sell Bell's Two Hearted where you live. It's great. Very floral.
Cascade is def more 'harsh" and piney. Reference Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for that profile.

You can try a 100% centennial if they sell Bell's Two Hearted where you live. It's great. Very floral.
Cascade is def more 'harsh" and piney. Reference Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for that profile.

Citra, centennial and apollo - it's good for bittering (a little goes a LONG way - AA ~18%) but it's also great for aroma and flavor - sort of cascade on steroids.

Warrior, Amarillo, and Citra. Really lots of combos out there, and you can change the flavors by different kettle times for bittering and smell/flavor. Also by adding sugar to dry out your IPA will change the bitterness/flavor combo's.

Just ordered a pound of each of these from the 2014 crop: Chinook, Centennial and Sterling.
Thinking these 3 will be diverse & interesting enough for IPAs, Saisons and Porter/American Browns that I'm planning to brew this season.

Skip Fuggles unless you like drinking dirt. Chinook, Simcoe and Amarillo makes a solid IPA. If you want something really different try El Dorado.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

In fairness, it is really an opinion that fuggles is like drinking dirt. I don't feel that way and I have had and brewed beers that do not taste like dirt and all I used was fuggles. :)

Latest posts

Back