Choices Choices Choices (Heady Topper & NEIPA Yeast Question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which yeast would you use in each beer?

• NEIPA: 1318; HT Clone: S-04

• NEIPA: S-04; HT Clone: 1318

• NEIPA S-04; HT Clone: Both 1318 & S-04

• Other: Please explain

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the long post. :)

This weekend, I'll be brewing two all-grain kits from MoreBeer: Haze Craze NEIPA, and Topped With Hops (Heady Topper clone). I normally make my own recipes, and buy all of my ingredients from my LHBS, but because of a months-long hiatus, I decided to order kits, to save myself some hassle. I also though I was being clever by not ordering yeast online, and then going to my LHBS to grab some, to avoid damaging it in the heat. I've always been able to find the strains I wanted from the LHBS, but this time...not so much.

My plan was to use 1318 in the NEIPA, and WLP095 for the Heady Topper clone. Unfortunately, the LHBS simply stopped carrying White Labs, and only had one pack of 1318. My phone was dead, so I couldn't do any googling, so out of frustration, I bought the 1318 and two packs of S-04.

So my question for you guys/gals is... Which to use in which? My first instinct is to use the 1318 in the NEIPA, and both packs of S-04 in the HT clone. But I've also thought about potentially using one pack of S-04 in the NEIPA, and both the 1318 and S-04 in the HT clone.

Before someone says "Build a big starter and split it between both packs!" you should know that I don't have the equipment/desire to make a starter. I'm admittedly one of those people who is probably too anal about sanitization, and I'm loathe to start a process that creates one more point of entry for bacteria/wild yeasts. I usually just buy 2+ smack packs, if I'm brewing a high OG beer.

Thoughts, ideas, opinions, etc. would be very welcome. Also, feel free to debate the merits of rehydrating vs. not rehydrating the S-04. I've been brewing for 5 or 6 years, but I've never actually used dry yeast, so opinions on rehydration would be welcome as well.

TL;DR - If you only had one pack of 1318 and two packs of S-04, and were making both an NEIPA and a Heady Topper clone, which yeast would you use in which beer, assuming you weren't going to make a starter.

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back