Choice of Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r5705

Reaction score
About the only piece of gear I need now is a wort chiller. I see 25' copper tubing wort chillers for $50-70 but I've also seen 50' copper tubing wort chillers for $70-80. Why isn't the larger wort chiller the better deal? Thanks.

About the only piece of gear I need now is a wort chiller. I see 25' copper tubing wort chillers for $50-70 but I've also seen 50' copper tubing wort chillers for $70-80. Why isn't the larger wort chiller the better deal? Thanks.

Not sure I understand. You're asking why the bigger, better one is more expensive?

Yeah looks like a good deal to me. I just built a 50 foot for about that price. First use last night, brought 5 gallons down to 65 degrees in just over 20 minutes. Beats the hell out of an ice bath.

It might be the better deal from the perspective of "hey, double the tubing for less than double the price". However there are a couple of other things to look at.
1. Do you really need more than 25' of tubing? A longer tube has more surface area to absorb more heat, but that only makes a difference as long as the temperature of the water is lower than the temperature of the wort. If the outflow temperature for 25' and 50' isn't significantly different, you've gained nothing with the extra length.
2. How well constructed is the 50' chiller compared to the 25'?
3. What about the hoses connecting to the chiller - are they the ones you need for your setup?

It might be the better deal from the perspective of "hey, double the tubing for less than double the price". However there are a couple of other things to look at.
1. Do you really need more than 25' of tubing? A longer tube has more surface area to absorb more heat, but that only makes a difference as long as the temperature of the water is lower than the temperature of the wort. If the outflow temperature for 25' and 50' isn't significantly different, you've gained nothing with the extra length.
2. How well constructed is the 50' chiller compared to the 25'?
3. What about the hoses connecting to the chiller - are they the ones you need for your setup?

Wait a tick, given the exact same outflow temp, a 50' will cool much faster than a 25', even though they will both get you there, because the 50 foot is absorbing twice as much heat per second, no?

I bought the stainless steel 25er from midwest. Works like a charm in just a few minutes.
50s are good if you have a really large (10 gallon plus) wort and brew kettle. Otherwise, the extra tubing just sticks up in the air and does....nothing.
Pez.

I bought the stainless steel 25er from midwest. Works like a charm in just a few minutes.
50s are good if you have a really large (10 gallon plus) wort and brew kettle. Otherwise, the extra tubing just sticks up in the air and does....nothing.
Pez.

True, but only if the 25 footer goes all the way to the top of your vessel. The 50 also helps future-proof, should you decide to go bigger. Nothing wrong with a 25 footer - I used one for years before plate chillers were commonly available.

I picked up a stainless from New York Brew supply for a great price with cheap shipping. All together I couldn't have bought the materials and done it myself cheaper. Best part is it is stainless so if it doesn't get used for a while I wont have corrosion or patina issues to contend with. I really like a one time for life tool purchase much better than having the opportunity to re-buy stuff later. Just my .02, but since I am on disability I have to watch them pennies very closely so I can get the max out of my investment.
Bob

Go 25. If you stick with this for a while you'll probably decide you want a counterflow chiller. The 25 is a perfect size to make a counterflow out of. You won't see improvement with a 50 foot counterflow over a 25.

My 50 is completely submerged when I boil 6 gallons in my turkey fryer. It's probably closer to 45 though.

Wait a tick, given the exact same outflow temp, a 50' will cool much faster than a 25', even though they will both get you there, because the 50 foot is absorbing twice as much heat per second, no?

Nope. You'll get a faster temperature drop if you get a higher flow rate at the same outlet temperature. You should be able to do that with a longer chiller - but I've never tested.

I bought a Duda Diesel counterflow plate chiller this year -- awesome product at a price that is competitive with immersion chillers.

My 50 is completely submerged when I boil 6 gallons in my turkey fryer. It's probably closer to 45 though.
mine isn't but it's because i didn't use a paint can to mold it around I used something much narrower. But if i go up to doing larger batches I'll be all set with this. my 50footer cools in about 10 minutes flat. fortunately my tap water is about 45-50 degrees here in nyc in the winter.

I picked up a 50' chiller for my last brew and found that due to the fact that the coils have no space between them, the wort chills unevenly. The center (where I had my thermometer) was chilled down to 65 while the wort outside the chiller was still above 80.

Anyone else find that?

The coils have nothing to do with it. You just need to stir your wort about once every minute. That way the temp goes down evenly and quickly (if your cooling water is cold enough).

If doing a full boil, you don't top off with any water. That would work with boiled then cooled and frozen water in a partial boil.

I'd just build your own. Even in today's high copper prices, I was able to buy a 20' loop of copper and all necessary ingredients for an immersion wort chiller for less than $50.

The coils have nothing to do with it. You just need to stir your wort about once every minute. That way the temp goes down evenly and quickly (if your cooling water is cold enough).

This.
Stirring is the key. I stir almost continuously for a while.

One thing though, the cooler IS more efficient if there is some space between the coils to let the wort flow around them. I've seen some coils looped so close and tightly together they are like a solid wall. The user can easily modify this by pulling the ends apart a bit. Did it on mine.

Pez.

I'd just build your own. Even in today's high copper prices, I was able to buy a 20' loop of copper and all necessary ingredients for an immersion wort chiller for less than $50.

My 50 foot cooler was $70, and I could have bought a 25 foot for $45. I see no reason to make one if it costs $50 for a 20 foot cooler...

I also bought the 50' stainless chiller...sucker works like a charm. Got a nice burn scar on my leg from the first time I used it as well:eek:

People say copper transfers heat quicker, but the stainless is cheaper, lower maintenance, plus I really haven't noticed a difference in chilling time anyway.

Back