Chocolate orange espresso stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kptnkmn

Reaction score
Fairly new to the home brewing scene, so bare with me. Brewed my first solo batch 10 days ago. Managed to get 4 out 5 gals in the primary before I got a stuck sparge. So, pitched the yeast and realized, aah crap! I used up the smack pack. I had a gallon leftover, so I put it in a small carboy, shoved some orange peel, cloves, and pizza crust- yes pizza crust in a cheesecloth sack, popped an airlock on, and let it sit. Figured, eh s n g's we'll see what happens! I transferred it to a secondary today.... Not bad! Was thinking of kickin off the fermentation process again, so I pitched some dried yeast. Was wondering if I should add some simple syrup to boost the process? Thoughts?

Why are you adding simple syrup, exactly? If there's still sugar in the wort to ferment, the yeast should find it on their own. If there isn't, then fermentation is finished. Adding more sugar will get the yeast active fermenting the sugar you just added, but is that what you care about?

Still kind of learning about the whole process. I've brewed with a buddy of mine a couple times at his place, a couple times here at home with the Big Brew setup but with his help, this time on my own for the first time. I did the pizza thing based on some show I saw on Netflix, history of beer or something, had some wort leftover from a botched sparge, and figured I might as well experiment with it. So, ten days with pizza crust, orange peel, and cloves, I transferred it over to a secondary and pitched some dried yeast. That was yesterday. Today the yeasties are happily doin there thing.

Back