Chocolate maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGFB

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a bit of sweetened chocolate as a bottle primer?
Just an idea. Maybe grated, or chopped into fine pieces...
I have used all kinds of stuff, just recently honey in an amber ale, which turned out very nice.
any way to keep it from contaminating?
could it? would it? get fermentation started up again... any interest out there?

hersheys-syrup.png

I have no idea if it would work, or if it would taste "good;" however, I have used honey, maple syrup, agave nectar etc, and I see no reason why this wouldn't work.

The trick, of course, is figuring out how much. I use between 1.5 and 2 teaspoons of the above list per gallon of beer. For 5 gallons, I wouldn't know for sure.

It's at least worth a try, I guess - brown ale, porter, stout etc. might be good with it - maybe even a wheat beer?

Let us know how it goes.

Sooooo, here is what I tried.

I pulled about a gallon or so out, measured the chocolate syrup

-1/5 of 3/4 cup corn sugar for 5 gal, or basically 6.5 g per bottle, which equates to about 5g of sugar on the nutritional scale
-the chocolate syrup i used had 18g of sugars per 2 table spoons.
- using this, i went with the same amount of nutritional sugar in chocolate syrup and made the assumption that the sugars would be fermentable (sp?) and then added a little extra for taste.

so now i will let them carbonate for maybe a week , and then stick them in the fridge so all the sugars dont get munched and my bottles exploded.The rest i just primed and bottled (tasted delicious) .we shall see how this works out....

And let the experiment begin!

well so far the other stouts have carbonated pretty slow but have carbonated.
I tried a chocolate one yesterday, so its been maybe little more then a week. No carbonation. And the chocolate taste was almost none existent. still had a nice chocolate aroma though. and it tasted good. so I got that going for me.
Going to give it some more time at room temp (here it been about 68º) and see if it will carbonate.
the chocolate could be inhibiting the yeast...

Keep with the updates. It might need some more time - or it might not work - but certainly worth a try! :mug:

Woohooo! Crazy flavors, no idea how to describe this beer. It’s good though!
Here is the list of specialty malts I put in...
I wish I could figure out how to level my house though every time I post a picture it is on it’s side..
Pictures are actual viewers angle after multiple beers....

33EA47F0-0DA6-408A-BB30-810CBF00944B.jpg

F2823E93-47F5-424F-8254-B004621456EA.jpg

Latest posts

Back