Chocolate Candied Orange Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Adams

Brewing_Akamai
Reaction score
What's going on everyone! Been really trying to produce recipes of my own this year, this is my first shot at a stout. The story behind the idea is the other night I was drinking a local bourbon barrel aged stout my boss gave me to try. It was great, I'm typically not too excited by stouts but this was really good. While drinking the beer my girlfriend was snacking on an orange her uncle's tree produced. With the fresh taste of the stout still lingering I had a piece of the orange. I couldn't believe how well the flavors paired and immediately thought this would be the next beer I'd try out.

So, here's the recipe I'm working out. It's really a combination of Martin Keen's milk stout recipe and the candy orange IPA from the Clawhammer folks.

5gal batch using the Anvil Foundry 10.5 @ 120v
8.5lbs 2 Row
1.25lbs Chocolate Malt
.75lbs Flaked Oats
.75lbs Roasted Barley
1lbs Lactose
400 g dark cane sugar and 400 g water to make a simple syrup to candy 3 oranges and 1 lemon worth of peels
Add candied citrus to fermentation after 3 days.
2 oz of EKG at 60.

What's everyone's opinion on the recipe? Also, does anyone have suggestions for yeasts to use? My LHBS does not carry Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale which is what Martin used in his milk stout. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Reminds me of the chocolate orange that I always get around Christmas time. I think I remember somebody making a thread on it trying to reproduce the flavor. Maybe search for that.

Good luck

I brewed a choc orange stout . Its on Nitro and is one of the best beers I've made. I love those Terry's choc orange candies. I used orange zest and orange tincture as well as cocoa nibs with vanilla beans . I used vodka since its very neutral. I also use wlp001 in my stouts , which works very well.

I brewed a choc orange stout . Its on Nitro and is one of the best beers I've made. I love those Terry's choc orange candies. I used orange zest and orange tincture as well as cocoa nibs with vanilla beans . I used vodka since its very neutral. I also use wlp001 in my stouts , which works very well.

Mind posting your recipe for it?

9# Maris Otter
1# flaked oats
1# chocolate malt
1# Crystal 80
.5# Rossted Barley
1# lactose @ end of boil

Mash @ 154f

1oz Mt Hood @60
1 oz Fuggles @15

wlp001

1.50 oz McCormick Valencia orange zest @5

4oz cocoa nibs , 4 vanilla beans soaked in vodka for 2 weeks then added right before kegging .

2.5 oz of orange tincture at kegging as well

Last edited:
Back