Chocolate Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loudawg7777

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Just wanted to get your guys opinion on a recipe I'm going to try:

6lbs amber extract
1lb caramel malt
1lb chocolate malt
2lbs honey
2oz cascade hops
White labs California ale yeast

This is my first recipe I've devised myself so I wanted to try to get some input. Going for a pretty strong ale with a chocolate overtone...

Might add cherries during secondary to give it that cordial cherry flavor... Am I on the right track?

I actually haven't even tasted a beer with chocolate overtone but believe it is quite interesting taste. So go ahead do it, you will see and taste what will come out of it.

A chocolate overtone is tricky. Consider adding powdered chocolate in the boil or cacao nibs to secondary to get a more rounded and apparent chocolate flavor. Some vanilla helps bring out the chocolate sweetness. There are quite a few threads about adding chocolate.

I use cocoa nibbs in secondary and 2 via Villa beans at the end of the boil to my chocolate Porter. It has a nice chocolate aroma and a hint of flavor

Back