Chit malt in 3 Roller Monster Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullhog

Reaction score
I was thinking about using the under modified chit type malt (because I never have and it sounds fun), but then I realized that my mill might not be able to handle the harder grains and it might do more harm to my mill than the fun I would get out of it. Or the malt just might be too hard to get a decent crush. I think thats what 5 and 6 roller mills are for. I have a 3 roller monster mill. Anyone have any experience with milling these under modified malts?

Last edited:
i've milled somewhat chit stage homemalt with my two roller.....got 'decent' low 70% effec...i've also milled 60/40 raw wheat berries with no problem....and raw wheat is hard as a rock.....i use a HF speed lock 1/2" mounted drill for it.....definitely had to force my free roller to engage a few times, or more, with a knife with the wheat though....

Ooof. Hard wheat berries - actually any unmalted wheat - will beat the snot out of the rollers - and bushings if so equipped.
If you do a lot of unmalted grain milling a corona-style grinder would be a cheap way to extend the life of your barley mill...

Cheers!

Ooof. Hard wheat berries - actually any unmalted wheat - will beat the snot out of the rollers - and bushings if so equipped.
If you do a lot of unmalted grain milling a corona-style grinder would be a cheap way to extend the life of your barley mill...

Cheers!

if you saw the state of my JSP mill, you'd realize it's already about the equivalent of a scuffed pasta roller....i just set it tight, let it rip....

but for the sake of effec, i got 82% with the 60/40 split.......

Back