Chipping "blemish" on bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I purchased a 6 pack of a ale. While on me 2nd beer, I peel the label as I'm sure most do. These lables were of plastic. But, upon peeling, my thumb grazed over an odd blemish. A scratch of sorts. I naturally proded it with my thumbnail only to discover it was chipping. Quickly, I stopped. Thinking to myself, how odd. I've never had that happen to me before. Damn batty. And, I'm bottling me beer.

I purchased a 6 pack of a ale. While on me 2nd beer, I peel the label as I'm sure most do. These lables were of plastic. But, upon peeling, my thumb grazed over an odd blemish. A scratch of sorts. I naturally proded it with my thumbnail only to discover it was chipping. Quickly, I stopped. Thinking to myself, how odd. I've never had that happen to me before. Damn batty. And, I'm bottling me beer.

That funny looking line, scratch was chipping.

ForumRunner_20130531_204012.jpg

ForumRunner_20130531_204012.jpg

Most likely air trapped towards the surface of the glass. Happens in the forming process of the glass bottle. It is a common defect and sometimes called a skin blister.

Now that I see a picture..that is called a "hot blank tear." Also a glass manufacturing defect. That should have been rejected by inspection equipment at the factory.

Latest posts

Back