Chinook Hop Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefPepperoni

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just received some hop extract and I’m having a hard time finding out how to use it and what the ratios are compared to using actual hops.

This is from the YVH website:

CO2 Hop Extract - For bittering

CO2 hop extract is the clean and efficient way to bitter your beer. This hop extract is made up of 60% Columbus (or other CTZ) hops for bittering and 40% blended aroma varieties. It is extremely concentrated (typical range is 50-65%, but each can is labeled with exact alpha acid) and is the better way to bitter.

Dosing:
Volume of extract (mL) = AAU (g) x Density of hop extract (g/mL)

One-milliliter yields around 10 IBUs in 5 gallons of 1.050 wort when boiled for 60 minutes.

Not sure what you have, but I'm guessing the YVH hopshots are close.

Bittering mostly. I have only used it at 60. I thought 10 IBU per 1 ml is pretty good, can do a bitter bomb or a couple of ml get me to 20 IBU for a cream ale or light lager.

Oh, Sorry. Didn't make myself clear. The hop extract that chefpepperoni received is for bittering? Because, if it's for aroma, could be used at bottling. That would preserve the essential oils.

Oh, Sorry. Didn't make myself clear. The hop extract that chefpepperoni received is for bittering? Because, if it's for aroma, could be used at bottling. That would preserve the essential oils.
The extracts are used for bittering. The extracts we hobbyists see are generally comprised of high alpha/flavor neutral hops and marketed as a convenient way to brew bitter beers with a minimum of hop residue.

Back