Chinook/Amarillo IPA Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryat66

Reaction score
I have been working on narrowing down my favorite hop combos so I can come up with a house IPA. One commercial example that I keep coming back to is Yard's IPA, I am not trying to clone Yard's IPA because honestly I think it's too sweet, I just like the spiciness of Chinook paired with the fruitiness of Amarillo. If I had guess, I'm thinking Chinook is the only bittering charge with Chinook and Amarillo being used something like 2:1 starting with 15 minutes remaining. However, that's why I'm here. I have provided a recipe that I'm using as a framework. I took it easy on the Amarillo because I know it has a tendency to overpower but I'd also like to know some opinions on going 50/50 starting with the 15 minute addition.

Any input/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size: 7.25 gal
To the Fermenter: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 64.4 IBUs
Estimated Mash Efficiency: 85.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
13 lbs 9.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 92.7 %
1 lbs 1.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 7.3 %
0.90 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 43.3 IBUs
1.34 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 15.6 IBUs
0.66 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min 5.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007)
1.34 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
0.66 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 24.70 qt of water at 161.7 F 151.0 F 60 min

I would brew this, except in a FIVE GALLON batch size, using only 0-8 oz. C40, and increasing the dry hop from 2 oz. to 6-10 oz.

2 oz. of dry hops in a 7.25 gallon batch will fall WAY short imo.

The current amount of C40 will bring about some sweetness which you don't want. You also aren't using nearly enough Amarillo to overpower anything!

I would use an oz. of each at 0 min and then AT LEAST 3 oz. each in the dry hop. I think a 1:1 ratio for those hops is perfectly fine but that's me. Cheers

I don't think your have any worries about the Amarillo overpowering the chinook. In fact, I think the opposite is true. I'd switch those to 2:1 Amarillo:Chinook because Chinook has a higher AA%. I think your Amarillo will be overpowered as originally written.

I would brew this, except in a FIVE GALLON batch size, using only 0-8 oz. C40, and increasing the dry hop from 2 oz. to 6-10 oz.

2 oz. of dry hops in a 7.25 gallon batch will fall WAY short imo.

The current amount of C40 will bring about some sweetness which you don't want. You also aren't using nearly enough Amarillo to overpower anything!

I would use an oz. of each at 0 min and then AT LEAST 3 oz. each in the dry hop. I think a 1:1 ratio for those hops is perfectly fine but that's me. Cheers

Oh yeah...sorry, I only take 5.25 to the fermenter and usually dry hop 4.75 to 5.

My boil kettle is wide and shallow so I make the 7.25 gallon batches so that I can pull enough wort to the fermenter without taking trub.

I don't think your have any worries about the Amarillo overpowering the chinook. In fact, I think the opposite is true. I'd switch those to 2:1 Amarillo:Chinook because Chinook has a higher AA%. I think your Amarillo will be overpowered as originally written.

Now that I think about it that's a good point. While I don't know exact alpha percentages until I go to the LHBS, it's safe to assume the Chinook will be more.

Now that I think about it that's a good point. While I don't know exact alpha percentages until I go to the LHBS, it's safe to assume the Chinook will be more.

Just because a hop has a high alpha % doesnt mean it is "stronger". The perceivability of the hop is mostly due to oil make-up if I understand it right. There are high alpha hops that arent very noticeable (magnum) and some low alpha hops that can entirely overpower others, especially in the aroma department (comet, wai-iti)

IME, chinook is more perceptible than amarillo. More in dry hopping, but still a bit on the hot side too

Last edited:
I agree. It's not a matter of AA%, it's a matter of "punch." I've always found Amarillo to be kinda mild and Chinook to be really "punchy."

Just because a hop has a high alpha % doesnt mean it is "stronger". The perceivability of the hop is mostly due to oil make-up if I understand it right. There are high alpha hops that arent very noticeable (magnum) and some low alpha hops that can entirely overpower others, especially in the aroma department (comet, wai-iti)

IME, chinook is more perceptible than amarillo. More in dry hopping, but still a bit on the hot side too

I know what you're saying, the alpha % is just a measure of the bittering 'potential'.

I agree Chinook can come across rather harsh at times and by itself it isn't my favorite. However, I've tried it w/ Cascade and Centennial and I've always liked it, it's only been lately that I've found that I personally like it with Amarillo.

Back