Chinese Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have the pleasure of going to China for 11 days starting next week.

I'm going to Qinghuandao. I believe its on the east coast. ~ 150 miles from Beijing.

What brands do you recommend trying out while I'm there?

:mug:

Here in Korea I usually drink Five Star ("o sung" in Chinese I believe) beer since its cheaper and better than the Korean crap. It tastes a bit like Heineken, which is a hell of a lot better than the Korean stuff that tastes like Coors or Milwakee's Best. Not great by any means, but very drinkable.

Never much cared for Tsingtao, always a bit skunky for me. The other brands I've had were Snow (awful) and one with a picture of a trident on the bottle cap. Very weak (3.5% alcohol) but a decent enough lager.

Bosh said:
Here in Korea I usually drink Five Star ("o sung" in Chinese I believe) beer since its cheaper and better than the Korean crap. It tastes a bit like Heineken, which is a hell of a lot better than the Korean stuff that tastes like Coors or Milwakee's Best. Not great by any means, but very drinkable.

Never much cared for Tsingtao, always a bit skunky for me. The other brands I've had were Snow (awful) and one with a picture of a trident on the bottle cap. Very weak (3.5% alcohol) but a decent enough lager.

I looked for chinese beer reviews... comments were quite negative. At my last HB Club meeting, I tried a Chinese beer that smelled like they dry hopped with a dirty jock strap and few sweaty socks. Skunked beer would be an understatement.

Might have to drink rice wine if I can't find 5-Star... :rolleyes:

OK - Thanks!!!

Tsingtao also makes a dark lager thats suppose to be good. At least that's what Micheal Jackson said. After there is basicly a brewery in every town so check them out.

I haven't had an Asian beer that I truly enjoy yet. I agree, the Korean stuff is all garbage - they're all like bad imitations of Bud/Miller/Coor's with a dose of formaldehyde. Japan's Sapporo and Asahi aren't bad, but they aren't good, either. The only Tsingtao I ever drank was awful.

I would go to China with an open mind and low expectations (concerning beer, anyway). Try everything you can find, and perhaps you'll find something great!

Bosh said:
Never much cared for Tsingtao, always a bit skunky for me.
Tsingtao is the only chinese beer i've drunk - It's not worth searching out in the West by any means but it wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would taste. Still 'odd' but I couldn't put my finger on why it was.

don't know if it tastes different in China, but guess who produces/distributes Tsingtao her in the U.S.

Any guesses???

give me an A

give me a B

What's that spell???

Yuri_Rage said:
I haven't had an Asian beer that I truly enjoy yet. I agree, the Korean stuff is all garbage - they're all like bad imitations of Bud/Miller/Coor's with a dose of formaldehyde. Japan's Sapporo and Asahi aren't bad, but they aren't good, either. The only Tsingtao I ever drank was awful.

I would go to China with an open mind and low expectations (concerning beer, anyway). Try everything you can find, and perhaps you'll find something great!

Kirin is a good lager, not watery like most other Asian beers. But its insanely overpriced, $4+ for a bottle here in Korea...

China Bizness Report,

OK - I'm back. I drank a few Tsintao. Nothing to brag about but not bad. I also drank some Snow Beer. Its about the same.

My beer of choice. (Drum roll please)..............

- Hoegaarden Witbier -

It was a steep $7 per bottle. They also have Carlsberg, San Migel, Heine's and Bud. This was the 1st time that I stayed at a 5-Star Holiday Inn. Its somewhat of an oximoron. This place was like a palace. Much like the Hotels in Cancun.

I went to this seafood place next to my hotel. Man I ate the biggest shrimp I ever seen. They were about as big as a golf ball in diameter. I couldn't believe it when I saw them. They also served us their biggest lobster in the house.

To my pleasant suprise they had "Hans Beer" it was like a wit. Served it in big pitchers. I don't know if they made it there. They had two 30 gallon chrome plated tanks at the lobby bar with taps and pressure gauges... Humorously, they asked us if we wanted yellow beer or black beer. The yellow-beer was pretty tastey. :D

Notably the best beer I had while flying was the Sapporo that I drank in the Northwest Bizness Lounge in Tokyo. They have a machine pour you a glass 3/4 full (tipping it with pour) then leveled it out and topped the last 1/4 with a nitro charged head. It was like drinking a Boddington with the widget.

I get to go back next week for two more weeks. I'm not looking forward to the 28 hours of flying though. Get this; Des Moines to Minneapolis, to San Francisco, to Tokyo, to Beijing... At least the beer & food was satifying.

:tank:

Hoegaarden isn't exactly Chinese beer (I'm sure you know this, but... just in case, haha), but it definitely is a tasty one IMO also. Probably *the* beer that introduced me and gave me a fondness to wheat-based beers. For $7 a bottle I may have let them keep it though. I think you can get a case at the distributor for like $35ish here in the states...

Sounds like a fun trip though, other than the flight!!

SilkkyBrew said:
For $7 a bottle I may have let them keep it though. I think you can get a case at the distributor for like $35ish here in the states...

He was staying in a palace of a hotel. $7 seems within reach.

I paid $11 for a beer in Pebble Beach.

olllllo said:
He was staying in a palace of a hotel. $7 seems within reach.

I paid $11 for a beer in Pebble Beach.

I failed to mention the prices reflect an obligatory 15% tip. So its not quite $6. Still pretty pricey, but if wanted to drink on the cheap the Tsintao was $2.25

I didn't - no regrets here! As we all know life is too short to drink cheap beer! :mug:

I tried Tsintao first, aftwards I picked something refreshingly different. And yes I know Hoegaarden is Belgian. It was my beer-drinking irony of the trip. :D

Good point on the hotel bit... A Bass or Sierra Nevada is $5 or so at the Hilton Garden Inn I often frequent...

I've paid $15 for a bottle of the Dogfish 3-Year Vintage WW Stout (which I am saving for my Bday May 26th BTW), so I'm not one to bust on someone for paying a lot for a good bottle of beer. $7 just seemed steep for Hoegaarden, but at a hotel and with tip that is very reasonable. Better than cheap beer, you are right! :)

Well I've seen draft guiness for as much as $15/pint in Korea...

Back