Chilling Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
I've been wondering at what temperature do you chill the wort down to after boil.

I've been chilling down ~75. Then pitch yeast because I want the yeast to start working ASAP.

Is there a reason to chill below 75?

Thanks.

Rick

What i have been doing to my last few batches is chill with a immersion chiller to about 80, then from BK I transfer into carboy and stick it into the kegerator till t drops to 62-65, then I pitch. They have came out great!! Ya wanna get to lower ferm temps cause once it starts going its gonna raise the temp a bit just cause of the ferm activity.

Obviously it depends on Tue type of beer and yeast. Lower for layers, naturally, but some ales you might want to chill down further. This would probably be your Belgian ales,like dubbels, that you want to start mid 60s and subsequently raise throughout the fermentation. If you have the capability to chill further to get those temps it would decrease your timeline rather than putting a 75 degree wort in a fermentation chamber to then reduce to 65 before you pitch. There probably a few other styles that might benefit from a little further chilling, but honestly, as long as you chill down to your pitching temp there is the most benefit. I'll let someone else comment on temperature/rate of temp change concerning cold break.

I'm a firm believer in pitching below your optimal fermentation temp and letting the temperature rise as the first phase of fermentation gets going. For ales, I never pitch in anything above 63. I also make sure my yeast starter is the same temp as the wort. I put the fermenter in my fridge till I hit my pitch temp, toss in the yeast and then set my controller to let it ramp up 2-3 degrees. High pitching temps are a major contributor to fusel alcohols and excessive amounts of diacetyl. Pitching lots of strong healthy yeast will get a good strong fermentation going quickly.

+1 for slightly lower and letting the little guys bring it up a touch. During the more active phase of fermentation, my carboy is usually 2 -4 degrees above ambient.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
Great info.

I have a feeling this may be one if the reasons I am getting some off flavors -- since I am pitching at ~75.

I don't have a way to gradually increase by means of refrigeration. So-- I'll try and take down as low as I can with my IC. And go from there.

Thanks again.

IC will only get you so far in the summer time depending on ground water temps. You may have to immrse the kettle in an ice water bath. Gently circulate the outer ice bath and the wort inside the kettle (once you're below 75).

I agree, pitch most ales in the 63-65 range depending on yeast type. Less by products as those yeast are reproducing in the first 36 hours.

So, for a partial boil of say 11,5 liters which is topped of with room temperature water to reach 23 liters, can some of you experienced guys give me a quick estimate as to around which temperature the wort should be cooled before topping of in order to reach a good pitching temperature?

I usually cool down to the temp it will be fermenting at in the summer its hard to get my temps down because the water is in the mid 70's but the winter my tap water is in the upper 30's either way I try to ferment some where in the mid 60's but I usually use Nottinham and brew mostly IPA's

Latest posts

Back