Chill haze after bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
I've got an interesting issue. I've been playing around with gelatin and fining before bottling. My process is the chill the beer down to 30F for 24-48 hours, hit with 2 tsp gelatin in a half cup water, bring it to a quick boil in the microwave, then pour that straight in the carboy, swirl, and let sit for a few days (typically 4-5 days). When the beer goes into the bottling bucket it's crystal clear (still cold), and it's crystal clear going into the bottles freezing cold. Once it's carbed up (3 weeks room temp) it's crystal clear at room temp. Once the bottle goes back in the fridge it gets chill haze again. It's mild compared to what it would have been without gelatin but it's definitely there. The most recent test batch uses Wyeast 2112 and I used whirlfloc in the boil. The beer tastes like it needs some lagering so it's getting cold conditioned and such anyways. The plan is to let it lager till Christmas day. Anywho has anyone else had this happen before?

I find that chill haze tends to go away with chilled time. Try chilling a few bottles fora week and see if it lessens.

I find that chill haze tends to go away with chilled time. Try chilling a few bottles fora week and see if it lessens.

Oh yeah for sure! I have a dedicated fridge in the garage just for the bottles. They get a few weeks chilling time to clear up before they're enjoyed. Just wonder why bother with gelatin if the chill haze shows back up in the bottles anyways? Maybe it wasn't left crashing long enough in the carboy?

Haze is the craze right now. Quite honestly, I never fin any more. I don't mind a little haze in my ales, and I don't send any out for judging. If they taste good, drink them and relax.

Chill haze is usually the proteins in the beer. They kind of coagulate when they get cold. Strip them out and you're removing some of the nutritional benefits of the beer.

My bottles always take a week or so clear back up in the fridge. Same as you, they’ll be crystal clear during carbonation. I only use whirlfloc though, no gelatin.

hit with 2 tsp gelatin in a half cup water, bring it to a quick boil

Maybe the boiling of gelatin is contributing. I don’t think you’re maximizing its potential. Most of the literature advises against boiling. Just a thought to further research. Additionally, sometimes gelatin just doesn’t work for a batch, for whatever scientific reason I’m unaware of.

Back