Chili recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocBrown

Reaction score
Hello all.
My wife came across a venison chili recipe that calls for a beer as part of it. I believe she said the recipe recommended an American Lager. Since it's going to be cooked as part of the chili, the exact type of beer probably doesn't matter too much, but I was wondering if any of you had some suggestions for a decent beer that would work well in this setting.

Thanks!

I like stouts for chili. Regardless of what you use, add the beer towards the end of the cooking to reduce the impact of the bitterness.

Don't use anything too hoppy/bitter, as it reduces, just like cooking with wine, the flavors will intensify, that's one of the reasons that a basic plain american lager is recommended.

I agree with stouts. Smoked porters are also good. Basically, anything dark and roasty is better than a light lager. You might also consider brewing a little coffee and adding it to the chili. Really adds a lot of depth to the flavor IMO.

The best rule to adding beer to ANY recipe comes from Justin Wilson, "If you wouldn't drink it, why would you add it to food?"

He was talking about wine, but the attitude is the same.

That said, I always add an Amber Ale to my chili.

I like stouts for chili. Regardless of what you use, add the beer towards the end of the cooking to reduce the impact of the bitterness.

Agreed! The best chili I ever made was a venison chili with my oatmeal stout. The coffee flavor blended beautifully with the spicy tomato flavor, to give me an amazing flavor combination. When I ran out of oatmeal stout, the next batch used American amber and a cup of coffee to try to simulate it. It was really good, but not as good as the original.

Back