Chile Pepper IPA Experimentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yreval

Reaction score
Hey guys, my next project is an IPA where I want to play with the unorthodox (but not-unheard-of) addition of chile peppers to the beer. Now, I understand that you usually add fruit during secondary, and most chile beer recipes I've seen follow suit.

But I'm a little wary of adding peppers to my entire 5 gallon batch; it would be an awful shame if all of that beer turned out too hot or otherwise undrinkable. Moreover, I really want to play around with both the heat level and the type of chile without devoting dozens of gallons to the, well, niche experiment.

To that end, I want to know if it's reasonable to instead add individual slivers of various chile types and sizes to individual bottles of the beer. That way I can compare the different resulting flavors within one brew of one age, where the only real variable is the type and amount of chile used (and bottle a safe amount of "plain" IPA to boot.)

I don't have any good way of measuring the sugar content of little pieces of pepper, though, and I have no idea how much of that stuff is fermentable anyway. I don't want to end up overdoing the carbonation and have half of my bottles explode because I added bits of fresh (or dried) fruit to them. I also don't know if there are any other glaring reasons that this is a bad idea that are flying over my novice head.

The sugar content of a small slice of pepper is going to be negligible. Infection would be a bigger concern, be as sterile as possible when slicing the peppers. While I havent done it, Id err on the side of caution and use less than you think you should in anything hotter than a jalapeno.

One way to experiment would be to cut, roast, and soak the peppers in some vodka to reduce the heat then add to secondary or growler/bottle. The flavor will still come through nicely, and you can try this with a variety of different peppers. I think it'd be difficult to extrapolate any effects of a sliver of pepper in a bottle for a full sized batch, but you should get some idea of the effect on flavor contribution from different peppers.

I agree make a potion with the vodka to help sanitize the peppers and maybe add in the secondary to taste.

I had considered the tincture idea, and I think you're probably right about the results being a little more consistent and indicative that way than with little bits of pepper meat.

So I guess I'll try making a few strong infusions of different peppers and then "eye-droppering" them into individual bottles to play around. Should normal, 80-proof vodka do the trick and kill all the nasties the peppers might harbor? Or do I need stronger stuff to be really sanitary?

Question.. Do you like Jalap's?? I do.. but not that flavor in beer. I've had a few pepper beers.. some Jap's and some Seranno's (sp?). I like a pepper that adds a little heat but minute flavor. YMMV.

Question.. Do you like Jalap's?? I do.. but not that flavor in beer. I've had a few pepper beers.. some Jap's and some Seranno's (sp?). I like a pepper that adds a little heat but minute flavor. YMMV.

Just goes to show that it all comes down to preference. See, I like the flavor with just a sliver of heat in a chili beer. To do that, I actually discard the vodka that the peppers were soaking in prior to adding the peppers to my secondary.

If you just want the heat, I suppose you could just add the vodka tincture and not the peppers themselves. Not sure how much flavor ends up in that vodka solution since I've never tasted it myself.

Back