Chest Freezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I probably should have started a catch-all for all of my newbie questions:eek:

I have a chest freezer which I'm not using in my basement which is where I will be fermenting my beer. I'm not quite ready to throw out the money to get a temperature controller, but is there any benefit to just using it unplugged? Does it provide any insulation to keep the fermentor cooler? Or will it do the opposite and warm it up?

Thanks again.

If its not plugged it, its just an insulated box. The temp of the fermentation vessel is always slightly higher than the surrounding temp, so IMO it will just keep warming up the air inside the freezer.

You could run a test. Put a carboy full of water in there and put the freezer on a timer. Say have it come on 5 times throughout the day for 30min or whatever you need to keep the temps down. Keep in mind that the temp in there will fluctuate, which isn't very good for your beer either.

that would depend on the ambient temp of the basement.....if its really hot down there you can put the fermenter in there and just turn it on for a bit to cool the inside of the freezer down and then turn it off.....do this a few times a day

if its cool in the basement, there is really no purpose to put the fermenter in there because the fermentation generates heat which will me trapped inside the freeezer

if your eventually gonna buy a controller, why not bite the bullet and buy one now.

I'd say throw out the money and get a temperature controller. I have done this with great success. :ban:

But yeah, if you aren't ready to spend the money, leave it unplugged and put some frozen water bottles in there to keep the temp down. If you just put the fermenter in there with no ice it will trap heat from the fermentation process and the temperature will rise.

Thanks all. I'm not too concerned, the basement is quite cool as it's actually underground.

I want a temp controller, but I'm just getting into the hobby and I'd rather throw the money at going AG as soon as possible.

Thanks all. I'm not too concerned, the basement is quite cool as it's actually underground.

I want a temp controller, but I'm just getting into the hobby and I'd rather throw the money at going AG as soon as possible.

I think temp control is more important than going AG ( JMHO) Lots of great extract beers have been made with good technique and temp control... but lots of crappy AG beers have been made by high ferment temps.

I think temp control is more important than going AG ( JMHO) Lots of great extract beers have been made with good technique and temp control... but lots of crappy AG beers have been made by high ferment temps.

I totally agree with this. Besides, with fall approaching you probably can find igloo coolers at reduced prices to build a mash tun. I used a Coleman Xtreme 70 qt cooler and built it for about $50.

Back