Chest freezer not cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richross

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a Kenmore 8.8 cubic chest freezer off of Craigslist. I had to lay it on it's side during transportation for no more than 10 min. When I got home I immediately plugged it in and the compressor kicked on so I thought all was well. 1 1/2 days later, the freezer has not cooled down, but the compressor is definitely humming away and very warm to touch. Am I screwed? Thanks in advance for any advice

Compressors get warm. Normal.

Setting it on the side is OK, but typically you want to set it upright and let it sit for a bit before you turn it on. Still, I doubt that is the problem.

I agree with duboman above, sounds like no coolant. It's a closed system, and I'd guess that there is a leak and the coolant is gone. Might have gotten screwed off craigslist. Was it cold when you picked it up?

Hmm, double threads, the other one closed? Hate that, waste of time and effort!

You sure that freezer worked before you transported it?

Compressors get warm. Normal.

Setting it on the side is OK, but typically you want to set it upright and let is sit for a bit before you turn it on. Still, I doubt that is the problem.

I agree with duboman above, sounds like no coolant. It's a closed system, and I'd guess that there is a leak and the coolant is gone. Might have gotten screwed off craigslist. Was it cold when you picked it up?
No, it wasn't cold. it hadn't been used in a while. It was just plugged in when I went to pick it up. If coolant is gone is there any way to fix it like with a charge?

No, it wasn't cold. it hadn't been used in a while. It was just plugged in when I went to pick it up. If coolant is gone is there any way to fix it like with a charge?

Charging a chest freezer is a new one for me. I've had 3 of them and I never noticed a charge port. In fact, I vaguely remember seeing a copper nipple that was crimped and soldered that was probably where the original charge was pumped in.

Like I said, these are closed systems. They should NEVER lose charge. I'm guessing you bought a lemon. If there is a leak, it's cheaper to buy a new one, or another used one, than to repair.

I hope I'm wrong. I'm not an HVAC guy, and it's possible someone will come in here and tell me I'm nuts. I hope that's the case.

How much did you pay, fixing a leak and recharging it is probably not worth it, kind of pricey repair

Most fridges and freezers are closed systems now, and have been for 20-30 some years from what I've seen. You can always sweat a nipple on, vacuum, dry, and recharge, but that doesn't repair them. You can only lose gas through a leak, even a pinhole that develops after years of perfect use, or a small leak at the compressor.

Service is generally too expensive and with no guarantee they can fix it. Now if you know someone who can test it in exchange for some beer, you can get a deal. Vacuuming is usually enough to tell if there's a leak, and sometimes where, if it's large enough.

Back