Chest Freezer Help - Can it be fixed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goofiefoot

Reaction score
I have a 14cuft craigslist chest freezer that's been problematic from day one, and getting worse. When I bought it, the owner had just unplugged it, and it had frost all the way around the inside and seemed to be functioning well. I got it home and let it sit a while from moving it. Once I plugged it in, it only would cool the front inside panel. Now it only cools on the top 4-6 inches of only the front inside panel. The other walls just aren't cooling down.

I have it temperature-controlled, but I've also tried plugging directly into the wall to see if the controller is causing the problem, and it acts the same.

Since that's the only place getting cool, the compressor is on pretty much all the time to keep up. I have tried unplugging it and letting it sit, with a fan on the compressor to cool it down. I also cleaned the compressor area, although it was only a little dusty.

Coincidentally, this is the second chest freezer (similar models) to act this way, although I chalked the first one up to a fluke.

I'm already shopping for a replacement, but any suggestions on how I could fix this?

I've heard of them vapor locking and was told by a tech to flip it on one side for 2 hours then flip on top for 2 hours then flip on other side for 2 hours then back on bottom for 24 hours then plug back in not sure how true this is but it won't cost you nothing to try it

I've heard of them vapor locking and was told by a tech to flip it on one side for 2 hours then flip on top for 2 hours then flip on other side for 2 hours then back on bottom for 2 hours then plug back in not sure how true this is but it won't cost you nothing to try it

That's interesting. I would certainly not have thought of that, but I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

That's interesting. I would certainly not have thought of that, but I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

Just FYI if your going to do this, set it on its feet and leave it for ATLEAST 24 hours before you plug it back in as the last step.
Tipping freezers is a bad idea unless you give it a long time to drain back down. If you plug it back in before its in place your compressor could go.

Back