Chest Freezer Going Bad?? Is There a Fix??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dokken5

Reaction score
My chest freezer that I sued for my keezer wont get cold anymore. It frosts up at one spot on the back but thats all it will do. Any ideas. I dont know much about air conditioners/freezers/ect.

as far as I know you can either have the compressor fail, which moves the coolant around, or have a coolant leak. Both of which the cost of repair is close to a new freezer. Others may have more experience with this and chime in, but i'd start looking for a new freezer if I was you.

A compressor fail may just be a cheap part. Does the compressor actually start or just click and not run?

The only fix for that I have found is searching craiglist for a replacement freezer or getting a deal on a new one. I have had 2 go down this way..the compressor will come on, but its either empty (no coolant) or its just not working as well as it once did. I could leave it off for a day and plug it in and it would work for a day or 2 but then slide downhill to a non-functional state again.

Cost to replace as others have mentioned is about the same as just getting a new one.

Sucks if you have done a full kegerator collar outfitted on it..Thats the only thing that is keeping me from modifying mine is the heartbreak I would have if I had that one go bad and had to toss it and rebuild again.

Back