Chest freezer fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soccerguy83

Reaction score
Just picked up my chest freezer to convert into my fermentation chamber. Will document the build here.

First thing is that the deep portion isn't wide enough to accept a carboy, so will be building a collar. Just need to figure out how tall I need to make it.

Just picked up my chest freezer to convert into my fermentation chamber. Will document the build here.

First thing is that the deep portion isn't wide enough to accept a carboy, so will be building a collar. Just need to figure out how tall I need to make it.

What size freezer did you get? I have a 3 cu ft model and it still accepts a 6-gallon carboy.

You could also try using 3-gallon or 5-gallon carboys. Maybe they will fit.

Well I haven't done the math yet, but the deep portion is 29" deep x 16" long x 11" wide; the shallow portion is 19" deep x 16" long x 11" wide. Either way I will need to put a collar on it.

I just got the starter kit and am still waiting to do my first brew, so I'm not really looking to switch out carboys, I'll just make this freezer work.

What model did you get. Seems very small on the width at 11". I have a 7.1 cu ft and it fits two carboys easily. The height should be fine at the deeper portion. Width seems very small at 11". That could be a problem with or without a collar.

It's a Kenmore 4.8cf (based on calculations, will post the model tonight) I'm thinking what I will do is build a platform for the deep portion to match the hump for the compressor, then set my carboy on the hump. Build a 12" collar and all should be right in the world. Then I can put my heater on the platform as well.

Will the carboy not fit in the deeper section? Why place it up high only have to build a collar? I'm not seeing the logic.

What type of fermentation vessel are you using. 29" being too small for a fermenter with an airlock seems very tall. I don't think my carboys and bucket are that big.

11" isn't wide enough, I'm using a 6gal carboy with S airlock. Will just barely not fit in the 11" portion, will test fit again this evening and see if I just had the ribs lined up wrong.

Ok some picture explanation.

First the model number
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1420593802.902585.jpg

This is the inside with a 6 gal carboy on the hump
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1420593844.237172.jpg

A 5 gal carboy fits in the bottom
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1420593874.222213.jpg

The amount of space between the hump and the compressor
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1420593910.514709.jpg

So my options are to either build a collar thinking 12x1 with 1x1 supports in the corners. My other option is to switch to plastic carboys or buckets if they are narrower. Either isn't really a problem.

The other option of bending the hump, I'm not sure that it will work as I believe it's insulated, too bad though because I have plenty of room! Also I could cut into the hump, but I'm not sure if any coolant lines run in that area.

I did hook it up last night and had a frozen bottle of water in there this morning, so at least she works! Will have to put it on hold for a couple days as I need to actually use it as a freezer tonight, picking up a deer from the processor.

I wouldn't bend the hump.. you may have to build a collar but while you're at it; build a stand that is the same height as the hump and you will be all set. plenty of successful builds documents on this page doing just that! good luck!

So my options are to either build a collar thinking 12x1 with 1x1 supports in the corners. My other option is to switch to plastic carboys or buckets if they are narrower. Either isn't really a problem.

Just buy some plastic big mouth bubblers from Northern Brewer. Only $30 for a 6.5 gallon one and they would definitely fit in there.

Just buy some plastic big mouth bubblers from Northern Brewer. Only $30 for a 6.5 gallon one and they would definitely fit in there.

They are right at 11" which may or may not fit.

Also have heard quite a few negatives about them.

Howza' 'bout: a 90 degree coming out of the Carboy, into a blowoff tube container, and lose the airlock intruder?

I can't tell from the pic, (looking down), of how far the top of the carboy is, below the rim of the freezer.

That's what I use, the cheapo reinforced vinyl tubing from Home Depot, and a PVC 90 degree fitting.
I think the O D on the tubing, is 1 3/8 ", which is a TIGHT fit for a carboy neck!
Cut a stub piece of the tubing, so that just enough protrudes for the PVC 90 to fit on, and another piece of tubing in the PVC 90, to your blowoff bucket.

No collar needed, if you've room for the 90 !

Note: after fermentation, you'll be taking the "stub" piece out with a pair of pliers, by twisting it "in" on itself.............That Krausen, and the tight fit of the tubing, makes a damn fine seal!

Edit: post a pic across the edge of the freezer, sans the airlock and stopper, and visualize if ya' have room for the above.

Double edit: Something like this, which I used in a "close situation" in using an old milk cooler as a ferm chamber.

While a good idea, the 6gal sitting on the hump the neck without the airlock is higher than the lip of the freezer. Thanks for the idea!

Can't take a pic at the moment as the freezer has about 50+ lbs of meat in it.

The carboy is 22" tall without the airlock, the top of the hump to the lip of the freezer is 19", ain't gonna work without a collar, wood for collar $10, adhesive already have, time 30mins. Hope to do it in the next week.

Nice thing about a collar is it gives you a place to attach a fan, and mount your temp controller without having to drill holes in your freezer. I think I'd add one even if I didn't need one. I use my fermentation chamber as a ferm chamber, backup kegerator, refrigerator, beer storage area, place to cold crash before kegging, and a place to force carbonate.

During Christmas I even had a ham and a turkey in there. Not to mention all the crap my wife piles on top of it. They're very versatile. It's like a member of the family. :D

Nice thing about a collar is it gives you a place to attach a fan, and mount your temp controller without having to drill holes in your freezer. I think I'd add one even if I didn't need one. I use my fermentation chamber as a ferm chamber, backup kegerator, refrigerator, beer storage area, place to cold crash before kegging, and a place to force carbonate.

During Christmas I even had a ham and a turkey in there. Not to mention all the crap my wife piles on top of it. They're very versatile. It's like a member of the family. :D

I have a feeling that's where this one will end up until I start kegging and build a Keezer. In between it may even see duty as a freezer :eek:

Fan, super necessary? I understand it will allow for more even temps, but in such a small space? If so, thoughts on size, wiring, and attachment?

Yes - get a fan. It's all about eliminating temperature stratification within the unit. With a collar, all the cold air will sink and you'll get significantly different temperatures top to bottom.

I wired a GFCI outlet right inside of the keezer. It's encased in an exterior outlet box. It controls my heater and the fan. The fan is continuous. The heater is tied to the temp controller's heat side. Used 14 gauge throughout.

Oh I like that idea! Could get a simple desk fan then.

Most people use computer fans. I use a squirrel cage blower.

There's a good selection here: http://www.sciplus.com/s/c_15/sf_140

I use a DC fan attached to a AC/DC convertor. Some people use old phone chargers. I just bought a convertor.

Here's a link to my fermentation chamber. Mine is similar in size to yours. These pictures show it as a kegerator, but I only use it that way occasionally.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f252/b-boys-3-tap-keezer-377240/#post4727688

Made a lot of progress last night! Shopped for most of the parts to complete my fermentation chamber. I pulled fans out of two old desk tops and wired them up to an old power cord I had laying around. Also found a perfect light fixture in the attic for the 100 watt ceramic heat bulb I got. Now I just need to get the deer out of the cheat freezer and build my collar! Very excited, going to be ordering a brew kettle and building a 50' double coil immersion wort chiller. I also had a bit of money sitting around earmarked for another toy and am considering using that to get a keg and a party tap. Undecided about that yet.

Sorry no pictures yet, hopefully I'll remember after the local home brewers club meeting tonight!

I still need to finish the fans wiring. Here are the pics:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Made a bit of progress last night. Got my collar built! Next I will be attaching it to the top of my freezer with silicone and using the previous attachment points for the lid. Then I will wire up the internal outlet, mount the fans, build the platform for the deep portion and reattach the lid. Then it should be ready to go!
attachment.php
attachment.php

Forgot to mention, also picked up a new 630ss with shank and tailpiece for cheap off CL, so will be using that once the first one goes in the keg!

Hmm that's odd, I can see them, I have them linked off another forum just as I always do.

Will look into it.

I would recommend putting some kind of dehumidification inside, especially since you have an outlet in there. Maybe an Eva-Dry? Is it normal to place a receptacle inside the keezer? My spidy-sense says danger.

Yeah I'm not overly concerned about it, I will have a GFCI receptacle in there, just threw this one in for the time being to test power supply etc. I need to find a GFCI with the ability to have separate power to each receptacle as I am running my heat lamp off one and the other will always be on to power my fans. The first GFCI that I got thinking it would work didn't as the other hook ups were for a load not the bottom outlet :smack:

I have on in mine. I used a box designed for an outside receptacle. I also used a lot of silicone to waterproof it. Plus, it's a GFCI receptacle.

Do you have two GFCI's or how did you get separate power to each outlet in the receptacle? Everything I'm seeing for GFCI's is that the second set of connections are for load only. I'm thinking about just installing a GFCI in the wall of my garage to put the entire unit on GFCI.

Back