Chest Freezer died tonight with new beer fermenting in it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfbayte

Third Most Interesting Man in his Cul-de-Sac
Reaction score
Grrr. Brewed 5 gals of Tangerine Wit on Sat, and 5 gals of Amarillo Blonde Sunday night then the chest freezer goes kaput. It's now a glorified fermentation chamber.

I'm adding and subtracting ice bottles to keep the fermenters 65* plus or minus 2 degrees, especially over the next 3 days or until I get a new one delivered. Its 80 ish in the house and 110 outside during the day.

Johnson A419 Controller seems to be working: 2 deg swing, with 12 mins ASD. Still may have short cycled the freezer. Only been 4.5 years years though since I got them both. Tonight I quickly reverted to new parent anxiety mode after many years of set it and forget it ("RDWHAHB").

Not even asking for help or advice, just keep my beers in your thoughts and prayers.

Under His eye.

keep my beers in your thoughts and prayers.
Hope it turns out ok.

That happened to me, sort of: My fridge tripped the GFCI. It was pretty hot before I caught it... My Kölsch (WLP029) yeast gave some banana, which was all right but it was a little harsh.

Last edited:
Hope it turns out ok.

That happened to me, sort of: My fridge tripped the GFCI. It was pretty hot before I caught it... My Kölsch (WLP029) yeast gave some banana, which was all right but it was a little harsh.
Thanks. Bought a new freezer today and picked it up after work. Both beers are at 64°now. I'm sure they will turn out fine.

I don't think the Wit (K97 yeast) got past 71 and then only for a few hours max. Not great, not terrible.

Got it down to 60 overnight before getting back up to 64 this afternoon after I removed the extra ice bottles.

The Amarillo Blonde stayed around 60 for half a day or more too until leveling off at 64. Fermentation was slow so any weird flavor production during that time would be minimal.

If all else fails...a swamp cooler might be able to regulate until your new one gets there (depending on how time-intensive it is to keep your 'chamber' at fermenting temps. It is sad; my fridge I usually keep my kegs in for service is keeping it at a brisk 63 degrees. Not a good serving temp for my tastes...(or any other human almost). Cruising CL to find another chest freezer to convert.

Back