Cherry Wheat Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twelvebeer

Reaction score
I want to make a cherry wheat beer. I bought a DME recipe and found this cherry puree at my local brew store. The guy at the store told me this stuff would work and that sometimes adding a fruit extract may make the beer taste like cough syrup. He said to add it during the last few minutes of the boil. During that time I will be adding the aromatic hops. Will adding these during that time mess with aromatic hops? He also said I could add the whole can. I was think about adding a quarter of the can. Does that sound like enough? I want a hint of cherry flavor and dont want to overdo it. Thanks in advance for your input!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D6KH4O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

510u3pnUseL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My 1 attempt at a cherry wheat was a Hank's Hefe batch I split for secondary and added some frozen/thawed cherries to part of it.

At first, the plain Hefe was superior, but after 2 or 3 more weeks in the bottle, the cherry one was better.

It should work great as far as I can tell, but might not be at it's peak as early as a typical hefe would be.

Edit: Also, everything I've read about fruit additions for wines, meads, beers generally point to that Oregon brand as being superior to other brands, particularly their blueberry products, but I haven't tried any of them. So, at least you got the right brand.

I made the same batch you want to make some years ago. I added the entire can (one can) of cherry puree and it turned out great. I would add it in the last 15 minutes of the boil and it won't mess with the hops at all, seeing as you'll add the aroma hops in the last couple of minutes in the boil. Don't worry about the cough syrup deal; it will turn out fine.

Back