Cherry Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monghetti

Reaction score
I have a Kolsch that I brewed on October 24th. Very basic recipe with 90% 2-row, 10% white wheat, Hersbrucker and Tettnang hops. On October 31 I crashed it and it has been lagering since then.

While at the grocery store today I saw some R.W. Knudsen "just black cherry" juice and thought that might go well with the Kolsch. I bottle condition and am wondering if there is anyway I can still use this juice. Can I add it to the bottling bucket along with priming sugar or is that asking for bombs? I have 1 quart of the juice, 100 grams of sugar in the whole bottle. Ingredients on the package are "juice from ripe, whole black cherries."

Does anyone have any suggestions? THanks for the help!

You can pour it into the secondary and allow it to ferment out. Just don't bottle until you're sure it actually has fermented out, there's no telling what the sugar content is and bottle bombs would be a distinct possibility. Not to mention it could be disgustingly sweet!

I'm pretty sure you could have bottled with that quart of juice with no worry about bottle bombs.

1 ounce = 28.3495231 grams

so there is slightly less then 4oz(113 gr) of sugar in the juice and most 5 gallon kits come with 5oz of corn sugar for priming. 100gram of sugar is about 3.5 oz of sugar.

1 million people in Cologne are crying at the notion of a "cherry Koelsch".

For a more exact measurement for the amount of sugar, use one of the online bottle priming calculators. I used the one at tastybrew and selected Kolsch --- it says the style should be 2.42-2.73 volumes of CO2. So I put in 5 gallons and 2 different fermentation temps -- 34F and 60F. For 34F, the amount of sugar needed was calculated to be 2.5 oz. For the 60F, the amount of sugar was 4oz. More CO2 will stay suspended(dissolved) in the beer at a lower temp so you need less sugar to get to the carbonation level.

Latest posts

Back