Cherry braggot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutch

Reaction score
So I’m thinking of doing a dark cherry braggot. I used to make beer from extract kits so it wasn’t really my forte. Primary I make mead now. Here’s the recipe I’ve kinda put together let me know how it can improve.

3 lbs dark malt extract syrup
3 lbs vitners cherry purée
3 lbs wildflower honey
1 oz cascade hops at 15 minute mark
1 oz mosaic hops at the end of boil
71B yeast

Ferment, clear, bottle condition

Like I said first attempt. What do you all think?

What size batch, and what do you expect for OG?

I want to do a 5 gallon batch, and I am unsure of how much gravity Ill get from the purée. I know my honey will only reach about 1.020 for the 5 gallons as well as the extract if my math is correct. I’d like to end up. So with that I’m at 1.04 and I’d like to be around 1.060-1.070

The Cherry component will ferment out, leaving a very faint, delicate hint of fruit.
Your malt, cascade and mosaic hops will (likely) overpower this faint fruit note and you won't be able to notice it.
I've made 100% cherry wines and they don't have much cherry flavor at all.
My recommendation: Start with an established Braggot recipe and then re-brew it, making changes that suit your taste preferences.
I hunted around and found a recipe that uses pilsner, Munich, and Wheat malt and hops that aren't as strong as Cascade and Mosaic.
If you Use 3 lbs of light pilsner and 3 lbs of of wheat LME or DME it may work out:

https://beerandbrewing.com/honey-saison-braggot-recipe/

Back