Cherry beer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotMOAB

Reaction score
My friend is brewing a cherry weat beer and it calls for either 8oz of cherry extract or 8-10 lbs of real cherry. He said that the extract was outragiously expensive as were the real cherries. He wanted me to ask the beer gods (you guys and girls) if he could use canned cherries that are ment for cherry pie (in cherry sauce). It says to through them in with the priming surgars.

49oz cans of Oregon puree for 10.95 here. - Oregon fruit puree Is this for a 5 gallon batch?

If using fresh cherries you would need a mix of half sour cherries and half dark sweets.

If you're talking about the cherry pie filling(with the bright red goop) I would not use that. And I would think that canned cherries at the grocery store cost just as much as the Oregon puree. I think you could get away with two cans of the puree in secondary.
Just leave the beer on the fruit long enough to achieve your desired taste.

i used frozen cherries (~$2/lb) 1lb/gallon. Put the cherries in a pot and heat to 180* to kill bacteria.

Unless you are making 8-10 gal of beer you will probably end up with a very very cherry-y beer

It's for a 5 gallon brew. How much cherry should he use so it's not overwelming? Also would it be better to put cherries into the secondary or do as the recipe says and put it in the bottling bucket? Thanks for the help guys!!!!

I'd put real cherries in the secondary or flavor extract in the bottling bucket. I'd also suggest the 1lb/gallon ratio.

Firstly, I've never done a fruit beer so take this with a grain of salt: however, I was just now listening to the archives of the Jamil Show from '07 on fruit beer. He recommends puree in most cases over fresh fruit, frozen, or extract. He says the extract made his beers taste like cough syrup, and fresh and frozen were unpredictable. He said they go through great lengths with the Oregon Puree to be consistent, blending for taste and acid content with multiple batches weighing hundreds of pounds. To my mind this makes perfect sense. This is even what the big breweries due with multiple batches of beer for uniformity throughout the days and weeks.

Back