Cherries in the Snow - Partial Mash Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I searched the forums and didn't come up with anything along these lines, so hopefully I'm not duplicating anything.

I'm looking for help converting Charlie Papazian's "Cherries in the Snow" recipe from The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing from an all extract to a partial mash recipe. Here's the original:

6 lbs light malt extract
2 oz. Hallertauer or Tettnanger hops (boiling): 10 HBU
1/2 oz. Hallertauer or Tettnanger hops (finishing)
10 lbs sour cherries
1-2 packages ale yeast

I've got over 10 lbs of the tart cherries as well as some all natural (no chemicals) cherry concentrate that I can add to the secondary.

Any suggestions for grains? I'm not quite at the stage where I know what grains to add to supplement a recipe and why.

I'm also curious if anyone has any suggestions for a yeast. I was thinking White Labs WLP001 California Ale yeast might be perfect since it doesn't bring too big of a flavor profile.

Thanks for any and all help!

It looks like that is going to be a pretty blond recipe. You won't have much in the way of specialty grains so I don't really know if you'd need to do a partial mash at all.

If i convert it in BeerSmith it only shows mashing .2oz of grain ...waste of time

If you wanted you could steep some pale crystal in the water before you add your extract ...but with all of that cherry you probably won't notice much of a difference.

Back