chemical to peel labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patpend3

Reaction score
I've got a bunch of bottles that are so ****ing stubborn when it comes to removing the labels. I've soaked them for 3 days and I still need a paint scraper to remove the lables.

Ideally I would like to get some sort of industrial strength cleaning solution that will do the work for me.

Any suggestions.

Yep, for most labels I use hot tap water and oxiclean and they are often falling off in a couple hours.

PBW! Made by the same people as star san, this stuff made my label-removing a breeze. Just soak them for a couple days, the labels will come right off, and they will be super clean - just a quick run through the vinator and bottles are ready to go.

+1 for oxyclean. I've got some bottles that have had the labels stuck for 10 years and finally put them in a solution of hot water (about 130F) and oxyclean, left them overnight and in the morning they just slipped right off !

I threw a spritz of goo gone on one last night that was impossible, and it came of in one swipe. Just make sure you don't get it inside, and rinse the bottle well.

Oxyclean worked for most of my labels. Perhaps it would have worked for all of them had I left them in there longer.

If a hot oxiclean soak doesn't get the label off, that bottle goes directly into the recycle bin.

Emphasis on "hot". Some labels come off great in hot water, some with oxy-clean. Put them together, and anything that still doesn't come off isn't worth screwing with.

PBW! Made by the people as star san, this stuff made my label-removing a breeze. Just soak them for a couple days, the labels will come right off, and they will be super clean - just a quick run through the vinator and bottles are ready to go.

+1
ALthough it only took a few hours for the labels to be vindicated for me.

+1 for PBW, that stuff has always worked for me. Another +1 for throwing out a stubborn bottle, I hate scrubbing or scraping off labels.

I have had no trouble using a dishwasher to get them off. Just put them upside down in the dishwasher, turn it to the hottest setting, and run. I still rinse and sanitise with iodophor, but the dishwasher does get them nice and ready. If that doesn't work, its off to the recycle bin.

I use Wal-Mart's version of oxyclean. Put all of the empties in a cooler of water. The labels just fall off after a couple of hours. Then I clean the residue with a brillo pad. If the label doesn't come off, into the recycling bin it goes.

Emphasis on "hot". Some labels come off great in hot water, some with oxy-clean. Put them together, and anything that still doesn't come off isn't worth screwing with.

I have 1 brand that oxyclean and hot water won't take off their label Duck-Rabbit brewing from Farmville NC (http://www.duckrabbitbrewery.com/beers.html). bleach, rubbing alcohol, various house hold cleaners... nada labels are plastic-like

If the label does come loose the sticky residue left behind won't! Can glue an empty bottle to my hand a year later!

still drink the beer (awesome milk stout) but don't bother with the bottles, not worth the time, and effort

I have 1 brand that oxyclean and hot water won't take off their label Duck-Rabbit brewing from Farmville NC (http://www.duckrabbitbrewery.com/beers.html). bleach, rubbing alcohol, various house hold cleaners... nada labels are plastic-like

If the label does come loose the sticky residue left behind won't! Can glue an empty bottle to my hand a year later!

still drink the beer (awesome milk stout) but don't bother with the bottles, not worth the time, and effort

Good to know. I've got a few of their porters in the fridge. Guess I won't bother with those.

And you're right: their milk stout is a damn fine beer.

Stay away from the strong chemicals. Go with an oxyclean soak for a few hours and they come right off. Any remaining glue residue is easily scrubbed off. Plus, the oxy clean cleans the inside of your bottles!:ban:

I've got a bunch of bottles that are so ****ing stubborn when it comes to removing the labels. I've soaked them for 3 days and I still need a paint scraper to remove the lables.

Ideally I would like to get some sort of industrial strength cleaning solution that will do the work for me.

Any suggestions.

Hot water and PBW. The labels just fall right off. ;)

Ive had good results just letting them soak in the sink with very hot water and dishwasher detergent , I also put bleach in but I dont think it helps get the labels off but pre-sanitizes before I put them in the dishwasher. After the bottles soak in the sink for an hour or so the labels come right off , then I just use a brush and scrub off remaining glue.

Seriously, hot water and oxyclean is all you need. Just let them soak...no scrubbing required at all. Not only will it give the inside a nice cleaning, if you leave it soak overnight you'll find the labels floating on the surface. After that, just a quick rinse and you're done.

I paid my son's unemployed friend $20 bucks last weekend to do 5 cases for me :ban: I did give him a break and started them soaking in OxyCLean the day before. My back said the 20 was worth every penny!

It seems to me that the Germans use an adhesive that is Oxiclean resistant.
It will soften but not dissolve completely.
I use a nylon paint stripping brush to scrape/scrub them clean.

The adhesive on White Labs vials is totally immune to Oxiclean.
But vegetable oil will dissolve it completely.

It seems to me that the Germans use an adhesive that is Oxiclean resistant.

Try the dishwasher trick. I prefer the shape of the german bottles and have delabeled a lot of Schneider and Paulaner bottles. Use the dishwasher, on the hottest cycle, WITH detergent, and you'll just have a bunch of wet labels on the bottom of the dishwasher and clean bottles. After that, you gotta give them a good rinse still with water to get any detergent off.

Back