Cheers to a new adventure & HELP am I SCOBYing it right? ;)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patricchio

Reaction score
Hello all!!
I've been reading many threads on this forum and figured I'd ask my question here as you all seem like a happy bunch and very knowledgeable...
Long story short-ish I've always wanted to brew my self but never had the space - still don't - but I thought of starting with Kombucha to see if it is indeed something that will interest me in the long run.
Due to the current situation out there I didn't have anyone to get a SCOBY from, but that did not matter as I wanted to try and grow one for my self like many others here, and I enjoy those little accomplishments that come at the end when we can say, Yeah I did the whole thing from scratch - did the same with my sourdough starter and now have a solid mama dough that gives us bread everyday but i digress

So since this is something I would like to start and drink regularly (also to reduce my consumption of alcohol a bit which is never a bad thing i think), I wanted to make sure I am doing things well and right to not get sick once I start consuming it.

Here's where I'm at, meet the little baby:
IMG_0006.jpgIMG_0007.jpgIMG_0008.jpgIMG_0011.jpg
It's been just over a week and I am assuming the SCOBY is still too little to start a batch but I hope to be proven wrong...
This little fella was made with:
1 Cup of Black Tea (I had EarlGrey on hand)
2 tablespoons (just under) of white sugar dissolved in the tea while hot
1 Bottle (480ml) of GT'S Synergy Trilogy (again what I could find that had some residue at the bottom)

Here are my questions...
how does this baby look?
should I do anything to help it out or check it better?
I since changed its cover to a coffee filter and I hope nothing got in during the swap..
Last but not least before I spend the money, are these things necessary?
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.24.51 PM.png
Heating Wrap

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.24.59 PM.png
pH instant read strips

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 12.25.04 PM.png
Stainless Steel Dispenser to replace the one with plastic on my gallon Jar
Should I consider anything else?

I'd like to embark on the continuous brew route and trying secondary fermentation in grolsch bottles but that's if this first stage goes well
Thank you all for your help, hopefully not too long of a post but hey can't really go anywhere at the moment ;)
hope you're all staying healthy and safe
cheers
P

I'd be interested in answers to your questions about heating wrap and stainless steel spigot

you don’t need to keep it warm unless you want it done faster. it can take 2 weeks warmer or 2-3 months colder for the same batch!

i just use a small plastic pipet to draw a sample periodically to see how funky and sour it is getting and if it is losing its sweetness. i like going bone dry and back sweetening in my glass. try some lady grey tea or russian country from Harney and Sons. both make delicious kombucha.

sorry, can’t answer the other questions. i have always just gotten SCOBY from friends when out.

you don’t need to keep it warm unless you want it done faster. it can take 2 weeks warmer or 2-3 months colder for the same batch!

i just use a small plastic pipet to draw a sample periodically to see how funky and sour it is getting and if it is losing its sweetness. i like going bone dry and back sweetening in my glass. try some lady grey tea or russian country from Harney and Sons. both make delicious kombucha.

sorry, can’t answer the other questions. i have always just gotten SCOBY from friends when out.
Sweet, all solid points... I'll look out for the tea when we will do our shopping next time.
I guess on the first batch I will see how fast I am gonna go through it... I believe is almost ready for my first continuous batch! just waiting on the stainless steel spigot, I went ahead just with that luckily for now and will hold on to the rest for the time being.

little update as I am getting ready to do a batch and/or set up my continuous brewer.
Some photos of my SCOBY maybe you guys can reassure me this ain't mould (I believe not but ya never know specially on your first time ;P)

IMG_0107.jpgIMG_0108.jpgIMG_0109.jpgIMG_0110.jpgIMG_0111.jpg

whatcha guys think? ready for it?
\
grazie (cheers)
have a great day!!

Latest posts

Back