Cheers from Mike in Denver

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krauskis

Reaction score
New soon-to-be homebrewer here. I'm planning my first batch on this Saturday, November 9th. My 40th b-day gifted revolved around outfitting me with homebrew equipment. I'm not sure why it took me so long to gain an interest in this hobby....I know it's going to be a fun and rewarding one!

My brother runs the Hoppy Brewer in Gresham, OR - I can credit him for putting this itch into me.

I purchased and asked a bunch of questions from a variety of sources. Grainy Days for the starter equipment kit and the ingredient kit, craigslist for the big aluminum kettle, burner, and 2ndary, The Brew Hut for some odds-n'-ends, Stomp Them Grapes for other forgotten items, and of course The Hoppy Brewer!

I'll be brewing up a much extended version of the True Brew IPA kit (which I've read horrible reviews on, but luckily it seems a couple people have had success). Here's my recipe which is calculated from brewtoad.com....it is bigger and much more embelished over the "kit" so hoping it comes out much better than the normal reports:

PREDICTED
1.066 OG 1.017 FG 63 IBU6.5% ABV12 SRM 1.06 IBU/OG
Very Bitter

Fermentables

NAME AMOUNT USE PPG
Crystal 60 1.0 lb10 % Steep 32
Amber LME 6.6 lb68 % Boil 37
Pilsen Light DME 2.0 lb20 % Boil 44
Hops

NAME AMOUNT TIME USE FORM AA
Pilgrim Great Britain 1.0 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 11.0%
Cascade United States 1.25 oz 15 min Boil Pellet 5.8%