Checking fermenter temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taxman

Reaction score
I am fermemting in a plastic fermenter bucket and wonder how you keep tabs on the internal temp in the bucket when I have the airlock in? I have been using bottles of ice morning & evening to keep by temp at 64 degrees. Also, the bucket is in water to help stabilize the temp. Is there anyway to insert thermometer short of removing airlock and inserting in stopper and will this allow any oxygen to get into fermenter?

the stick-on strip thermometers (keep above water-line in swamp cooler) are OK but I don't trust them. I've been thinking of making a tiny grommet and sticking a dial thermometer down there.

My local home brew store suggested the stick on the exterior type used on aquariums. That works for me so far.

I use the sticky thermometers on my carboys. They seem pretty accurate, I have have double checked the temperature with my digital when taking samples and they usually agree within one degree or so. Like mentioned before, just be sure to not get it wet.

Since your fermenter is immersed in water, after the first couple of days of active fermentation, the beer/wort should be fairly close to the water temperature.

Back