Check list before takeoff: Plinian Legacy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandallFlag

Reaction score
I have researched and read these forums over and over but I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting something before I dive into the NB Plinian Legacy kit (extract) today. These forums have suggested:

**Using fermcap during the boil
**Adding hops to a bag during the boil to aid in cleanup
**Using the whirlpool technique before racking to the primary
**Pitching 1.5 to 2 packets of dry yeast or using a starter

Am I forgetting something? I've only made one other kit before and I want this to turn out as best as possible.

Should I use whirfloc as well? Thanks!

I have researched and read these forums over and over but I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting something before I dive into the NB Plinian Legacy kit (extract) today. These forums have suggested:

**Using fermcap during the boil
**Adding hops to a bail during the boil to aid in cleanup
**Using the whirlpool technique before racking to the primary
**Pitching 1.5 to 2 packets of dry yeast or using a starter

Am I forgetting something? I've only made one other kit before and I want this to turn out as best as possible.

Should I use whirfloc as well? Thanks!

SANITIZE, SANITIZE, SANITIZE!

Fermcap - only if you are at risk of a boilover. I've never used it before but I've heard it definitely works.

Bailing Hops - I don't know much about this. If you are using pellets I wouldn't bother.

Whilpool Technique - works everytime for myself

Yeast Starter - definitely use a yeast starter. My beers fermented out quicker and the quality has improved since using starters.

Whirlfloc - I've never used it, I use Irish Moss instead but yes it will help in the clarity of your beer.

I made The Pilinian Legacy last April and it is by far my favorite kit from Northern Brewer. My kit was All Grain however.

Let us know how it turns out!

Thanks for the quick reply. I had to edit. It should have said bag instead of bail in my original post :)

Hit my OG right on the money 1.072

Pitched at 72 deg F

Unbelievable amount of hop sludge to get through post boil and the whirlpool technique was an EPIC FAIL. I'm assuming it was operator error. I will have to re-read the wiki and make sure I did it correctly.

New goal for 2015 is to figure out the BEST way to make hoppy beers and come up with a better method to get the beer in the carboy with minimal hops.

Overall I'm pleased. :D

I wouldn't worry too much about the hop slurry. If some of it gets into the fermenter it will sink down to the bottom.

What I have always done is use a steel strainer as I am racking from pot to fermenter. Not only does it stop most of the hop slurry from getting in the fermenter it adds the needed oxygen (aeration) that the yeast need to do their work.

Whirlfloc isn't necessary with extract batches.

I would imagine that the trub pile in the center of the kettle was wnokous with that recipe, so whirlpool probably wasn't very effective.

Don't worry about getting some of the hops and trub into the fermenter, as others mentioned it will sink to the bottom and kit effect beer taste either way.

Hit my OG right on the money 1.072

Pitched at 72 deg F

Unbelievable amount of hop sludge to get through post boil and the whirlpool technique was an EPIC FAIL. I'm assuming it was operator error. I will have to re-read the wiki and make sure I did it correctly.

New goal for 2015 is to figure out the BEST way to make hoppy beers and come up with a better method to get the beer in the carboy with minimal hops.

Overall I'm pleased. :D

I wouldn't be overly concerned with your gravity as with extract kits they are formulated to give you a fixed starting gravity. Assuming you have the correct volume in the fermenting vessel at the end following the top up and assuming correct mixing of the wort and correct measuring the SG will always be right on or negligably close to it

Gavin C said:
I wouldn't be overly concerned with your gravity as with extract kits they are formulated to give you a fixed starting gravity.

I so did not know this. I thought I had excelled at brewing and now you ruined it all for me. ;)

Only my second kit and the first time my OG was noticeably off. I usually do full grain 1 and 2.5 batches. You learn something new everyday.

I couldn't agree more. 1 1/4" ID blowoff tube in the carboy and ****'s getting rowdy. :)

Back