Cheapest bar tab ever?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AND....to the actual OP...

Embassy suites paid for by company....$347.00

Various meals paid by company $135.00

Free open bar with amberbock every night? Not quite priceless, but yes, the only bar tab that could be cheaper would be getting paid..

I gave that bar tender a $20.

Having the bar tender at a damned Hotel remember you from 2 months ago and treat you like royalty? Now that's priceless ;)

Wait what percentage is $20 of $0?

Oh crap!!!! I tipped infinity percent! What a fool I am! ;)

In fairness, he did say he tipped additionally on the food tab.

I waited tables for YEARS and managed waitstaff also (grew up in the food business). The best waitstaff understands that TIPS are earned not an entitlement. Good waiters/waitresses, bartenders, and others, through superior performance earn good tips from gracious customers who appreciate their service. Poor performance deserves poor compensation.

I will NEVER blanketly leave a 20% (15% is still a norm in the US) to all servers because that negates out the value and apprecation of the good servers. I have never, to my knowledge "stiffed" a waiter but I have undertipped when the service was crappy and overtipped when the service was spectacular.

If you are in the management department... the CUSTOMER is ALWAYS right. I've fired waiters because they repeatly, and with no remorse, had the gall to complain to or in front of customers about a tip. But, contrary to that, if I were still in the industry today, a good waitstaff is the face of your business. They can make or break you so you want good 'uns. There are Point of Sales systems that provide for a $Value line (above the paid price) and tip suggestions for 15%/ 20% etc. I would ensure that my POS had that feature.

Methinks this conversation would be best continued in the debate forum.

Again I will say to the OP that you got a good steal on prices.

The fact that people get so heated about tipping philosophy is I think evidence in itself that the tipping system is flawed. Restaurants should pay their employees what they deserve instead of looking to the customers to subsidize their wages.

When do you tip?
If I order at a counter and someone brings food out (like a pizza joint)- no tip or minimal.
If I sit and order- normal tip.
Pickup food to go- no tip or minimal.
Delivery - obviously tip.
My state (WA) doesn't allow people to be paid less than min wage (there's no tip credit). Should I tip less than if I lived in another state?
If I'm in a town on vacation or business and will never return to that establishment, how should I tip? Does the answer change if I'm with people or by myself? (thinking about the food-spitting theory here)

Service based on tipping probably would be found to be a sexist, racist, and ageist system, and I believe that this is true for the customers as well as the servers.

That said, I do tip, generally 15%.

I delivered pizzas for a few months in between jobs a few years ago...

People that send their kids to the door with exact change and no tip should be shot.

People who (and I only ever saw one) send their kid to the door with a 20 and a 10 on a 28 dollar tab, and tell the kid not to come back without the change, should be skinned alive.....and then shot.

All of that said, I agree with okawesome. tipping is flawed to the core.

THAT said, it is what it is, don't be a ****** like Mr. Pink.

Restaurants should pay their employees what they deserve instead of looking to the customers to subsidize their wages.

Not saying that I disagree with you, but there are serious ramifications to that sentiment. Speaking as someone who works in the industry, most restaurants operate on a very narrow profit margin (1-4%). They simply cannot afford to pay wait staff more without SERIOUS increases in prices. Think restaurant prices are outrageous now? Just imagine if they had to pay their staff 3.4 times as much.

Some restaurants are experimenting with "No Tip" policies and paying their wait staff a much higher than standard wage, which is subsidized by a much higher priced menu. They are not doing very well, overall.

Not saying that I disagree with you, but there are serious ramifications to that sentiment. Speaking as someone who works in the industry, most restaurants operate on a very narrow profit margin (1-4%). They simply cannot afford to pay wait staff more without SERIOUS increases in prices. Think restaurant prices are outrageous now? Just imagine if they had to pay their staff 3.4 times as much.

Some restaurants are experimenting with "No Tip" policies and paying their wait staff a much higher than standard wage, which is subsidized by a much higher priced menu. They are not doing very well, overall.

Imagine a national restaurant with servers (Applebees, Dennys, IHOP, etc) and national ad campaigns stating prices for particular meals. In my state, Washington, they are not allowed to pay servers less than minimum wage, yet they still exist in my state. How could this be if what you are saying is true? Also, how do people in no tip establishments survive as it currently is?

3.4 times $2.15 is what again? Not much.

I mostly wanted to hear if there are rules for selling craft beer that low? Someone had made a comment about that on here a while back so maybe someone can explain that one?

I mostly wanted to hear if there are rules for selling craft beer that low? Someone had made a comment about that on here a while back so maybe someone can explain that one?

I wouldn't expect that there would be any such rules, but rules differ by jurisdiction. I've had free wine at events before and never thought that it would be illegal. Obviously, you got a really good deal.

Sorry for assisting in the hijack.

I wouldn't expect that there would be any such rules, but rules differ by jurisdiction. I've had free wine at events before and never thought that it would be illegal. Obviously, you got a really good deal.

Sorry for assisting in the hijack.

It definitely differs by jurisdiction. When I was a waiter in college, DeKalb County GA did not allow half-priced drinks, two-for-one drink specials, or even one person to order two drinks at a time. Neighboring Gwinnett County had much less restrictions.

So, how did we get off topic here? I thought this was a thread about a cheap bar tab, not 5 pages of tipping practices? If you don't think the OP didn't tip enough, then okay, we get it. How about we move on....or start a "People's Tip Amounts" thread, lol.

Back on topic....I think I have the OP beat. My and my FIL went to a place and an Old Friend was a manager. We had a good time catching up, and it turns out he is getting into homebrewing. Needless to say, I was surprised when I got this check....and in case you were wondering; I tipped the server $20

cheap tab.jpg

Yea that's a pretty funny tab. Was it 1% of retail price?

Sorry again for the original derailment.

I always pay at least $0.15 tax....

Wow. I am impressed. Though it was PBR.

Thanks, so were we! I actually like PBR and High Life. Plus, normally they're $2.50 for a 24oz, so you can't beat that. I'm just over paying $5-6+ for a craft beer...after trying 750+ different crafts at a local Taco Mac, my wallet now wishes to save money, lol. I'll get some of my favorites on tap, but that's about it. The kegerator at home has me spoiled, too.

Yea that's a pretty funny tab. Was it 1% of retail price?

Sorry again for the original derailment.

Yeah...it was a 1% bill. I hope he's working next time I go back!

So, how did we get off topic here? I thought this was a thread about a cheap bar tab, not 5 pages of tipping practices? If you don't think the OP didn't tip enough, then okay, we get it. How about we move on....or start a "People's Tip Amounts" thread, lol.

Back on topic....I think I have the OP beat. My and my FIL went to a place and an Old Friend was a manager. We had a good time catching up, and it turns out he is getting into homebrewing. Needless to say, I was surprised when I got this check....and in case you were wondering; I tipped the server $20

Wild Heaven is having a tap takeover there soon!

15% is the standard for most situations. It's not a hard and fast rule, but even if it were, there are exceptions to every rule. Discretion and common sense should always be used. People should be aware that tips are a waiter's livelihood.

I like your thinking, but more importantly, I really like your taste in beer :mug:

THIS
Kegged:
Golden Nugget Saison; Roggenbier
Secondary:
SMASH Citra Barleywine; Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout; RIS w/ Saison Yeast
Primary:
Lanier Porter
On Deck:
Barrel Aged Wee Heavy; Imperial IPA

IS A SOLID FREAKING LINEUP!!!

I cant beat the $0.01 PBRs, but a Pizza joint here offers $0.25 BMC on mondays, without knowing the manager or such. You can get drunk for $3!

I like your thinking, but more importantly, I really like your taste in beer :mug:

THIS
Kegged:
Golden Nugget Saison; Roggenbier
Secondary:
SMASH Citra Barleywine; Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout; RIS w/ Saison Yeast
Primary:
Lanier Porter
On Deck:
Barrel Aged Wee Heavy; Imperial IPA

IS A SOLID FREAKING LINEUP!!!

Thanks! I actually need to update it, the Saison and the Roggenbier are both *sadly* gone. I'll be making both again shortly, though.

I was about to brew a barley wine in a few weeks. I may steal that citra barley wine smash idea. Thinking all Maris otter and citra!

I do have one to beat this though I dont have the receipt to prove it. While in college (~12-13 years ago) there was a bar that sold happy hour penny pitchers (coors) and dime wings. Needless to say that bar didn't stick around too long.

Once went into a bar downtown that on Saturday night is slammed with the younger crowd. I've had to leave a few times because they couldn't hear my drink order it gets so packed.

But on Sunday late afternoons, not so much. So a few friends and I went in, got some food and ordered a few drinks. I knew they had the Rogue Dead Guy whiskey and wanted to taste it.
We finished our food and our first round and wanted a second, but no one came to take our order or bring our bill. After maybe 45 minutes we just left. Freebies.

Once went into a bar downtown that on Saturday night is slammed with the younger crowd. I've had to leave a few times because they couldn't hear my drink order it gets so packed.

But on Sunday late afternoons, not so much. So a few friends and I went in, got some food and ordered a few drinks. I knew they had the Rogue Dead Guy whiskey and wanted to taste it.
We finished our food and our first round and wanted a second, but no one came to take our order or bring our bill. After maybe 45 minutes we just left. Freebies.

That shouldn't be in the cheapest bar tab thread.

That should be in the "I'm a criminal" thread

My wife and I often visit and travel with my best friend and his wife (we're in south jersey, they're up north). We have a tendency of falling a$$ backwards into great deals. 3 quick stories that come to memory.

Once at a bar near my old apartment the four of us sat for 3-4hrs having drinks. Me and my buddy drinking higher end craft beer. The ladies drinking mixed drinks. At the end of the night our tab comes and my buddy decides to pay. We argue, but he won't take any money from me. We stumble home pretty hammered and the next morning I see the bill sitting on the table. It was $24.25!! Since it was only a credit card receipt there was no list of drinks, food, ect, just the total. I have to assume we were giving the wrong bill and were too drunk to realize it. That tab should have been well over $100. The beers run $5-7 and the mixed drinks $6-9 each.

Another time we took a trip to Vegas and stayed at the Treasure Island. We requested 2 rooms with king size beds. When we got to our room they both had 2 queen beds. We called downstairs and politely asked to get new rooms with king beds. Within 5 minutes there was a bellboy at our door with keys to another floor. We got on the elevator and noticed we were heading to the top floor. Got to our rooms and...BOOM... penthouses! Not the penthouses you see on tv that are multiple rooms, pools, jacuzzi, etc... but extremely nice rooms. Both corner rooms over looking the strip. High ceilings, huge TVs, etc. They even sent up complimentary trays of fruit, chocolate, and champagne. All because they gave us rooms with queens instead of kings.

This last one was pretty cool. My best friend and I went to the same college... where we met. In between classes one day we were at an Elephant & Castle bar in center city Philadelphia. A guy sat down next to us at the bar who was on a business trip and disgruntled with his company. He started buying he and us drinks. Needless to say we missed our night class and sat with the guy for hours drinking and discussing college, careers, business, and life. Dude covered the entire bill.

Sorry to ramble, but this thread brought back a lot of great memories!

A co-worker were out at a pub tonight. All beers were advertised as half price. Here is a picture of the tab. How is this possible? FYI I didn't know the bartenders.

Hahaha I know Autumn! Great little craft bar in CS. Small world!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Home Brew mobile app

We have a local joint that does Thirsty Thursday every week; all beer/wine/well liquor is 50% off. The wife and I usually visit at least 1-2 times a month. The last few times I have been in there they have had Founders Breakfast Stout on tap...not only is it 1/2 off ($3.50), but they give it to you in a 20oz. Guinness pint!

A guy sat down next to us at the bar who was on a business trip and disgruntled with his company. He started buying he and us drinks. Needless to say we missed our night class and sat with the guy for hours drinking and discussing college, careers, business, and life. Dude covered the entire bill.

I'm betting the company with which the dude was "disgruntled" actually covered the entire bill. ;) Gotta love company credit cards and travel expenses!

Great stories!

I'm betting the company with which the dude was "disgruntled" actually covered the entire bill. ;) Gotta love company credit cards and travel expenses!

Great stories!

Oh yes... that was 100% the case. Sorry forgot to mention that part in my rambling. He was very honest that his company was flipping the bill. So we all drank and enjoyed ourselves. I can't remember the exact story (it was either 2000 or 2001), but something like he was upset about his travel arrangements or something.

I havn't been to the Boozer in a long time.
I wish i was in a pub now.....

5 years ago or so, I would go to a nearby chillis. The 1st 3 times I went I got tanked and tipped $20 each. From there on after, for some reason or another, the tab always came up as 3 tall draft. Like seriously, I'd drink all night (10-12 talls) and the tab was always 3 tall. The $15-20 tip never stopped.

I did this for well over a year (maybe 2), until I met my significant other and started to settle down.

5 years ago or so, I would go to a nearby chillis. The 1st 3 times I went I got tanked and tipped $20 each. From there on after, for some reason or another, the tab always came up as 3 tall draft. Like seriously, I'd drink all night (10-12 talls) and the tab was always 3 tall. The $15-20 tip never stopped.

That's despicable. No, seriously.

I mean, good deal for you, but that staff was basically stealing from the owner. They were giving away his beer and instead of collecting the cost from you, they were pocketing the money as tips. That's outright employee theft.

That's despicable. No, seriously.

I mean, good deal for you, but that staff was basically stealing from the owner. They were giving away his beer and instead of collecting the cost from you, they were pocketing the money as tips. That's outright employee theft.

I have to agree.

Ok, fine. If you guys just want to call each other cheapskates and venomously suggest etiquette, we can simply be done with this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back