Cheap WalMart OxyClean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbyrd01

Reaction score
I bought a big tub of this stuff, it's actually called Sun OxyGen Cleaner. I've used it a few times and it always leaves a white residue on everything. Just last night I washed a load of bottles in my dishwasher with a scoop of this as the cleaner. Every bottle in there is covered with this white residue that will not rinse off, I have to scrub it off. Anyone else have any experience with this? Am I using too much and that's why I'm getting the residue? Or is this stuff just not as good as the original OxyClean and I should just throw it away and use the real deal? I never noticed the residue when I used the original.

Thanks!

Maybe your dishwasher baked it on somehow.

I find that if you rinse with very hot water, oxyclean comes off with no problems.

i get that residue with the cheap stuff, too. i have no explanation.

It's from hard water. The oxy clean causes deposits to adhere to the glass. Probably due to over saturation of carbonates in the water. I use vinegar to remove it. Some use star San I believe. Basically you want an acid to remove it. I find extended times submersed causes the layer to build. I try to only soak for a little with my awfully carbonated water.

Couple of things come to mind off the top of my head. 1.) make sure whatever you are using is dye/perfume free. 2.) i usually don't use more than a couple of tablespoons per 5 gallons if i am mixing cleaner, so you may be using too much. 3.) rinse well as soon as you are done washing whatever (i would be worried about stuff not getting rinsed enough in dishwasher before the heat dry cycle sets it in 4.) if you already have the residue, and you use starsan, give it a dip in that and see if it comes off, acid rinse is supposed to do the trick. YMMV.

Edit: Mojzis beat me to it.

Mojzis said:
It's from hard water. The oxy clean causes deposits to adhere to the glass. Probably due to over saturation of carbonates in the water. I use vinegar to remove it. Some use star San I believe. Basically you want an acid to remove it. I find extended times submersed causes the layer to build. I try to only soak for a little with my awfully carbonated water.

^ This. +1.

Maybe your dishwasher baked it on somehow.

I find that if you rinse with very hot water, oxyclean comes off with no problems.

+1 another good reason not to use the dishwasher to clean bottles,,,,little of the old clorniated soap you use to clean dishes, might still be in there,,,might get inside your bottles and might get baked on making your star san rinse not so effective.

Actually I get the residue even if I don't put them in the dishwasher. I do have really hard water though. I just ran them in the dishwasher again using this stuff called Lemishine which is an acid, and now the residue is gone. Sounds like I should try rinsing them in Starsan after cleaning rather than running them through the dishwasher.

I don't clean my bottles at all really. I rinse the hell out of them with hot water right after I drink one, then sit it upside down to dry. When bottling day comes I sanitize with star San after looking inside each quick to make sure. The other day there was a big a** spider in one which almost gave me a heart attack.

Anyway, the only time I clean is when I de-label or get cruddy bottles back from people. That's when I use oxyclean. Anyway, YMMV.

I don't clean my bottles at all really. I rinse the hell out of them with hot water right after I drink one, then sit it upside down to dry. When bottling day comes I sanitize with star San after looking inside each quick to make sure.

This is what I do. John Palmer recommends the same in either How to Brew or BCS, don't recall which.

I had some bottle that needed their labels removed and some that had been sitting for about a week after a St Paddys day party. I'll definitely try to rinse my bottles immediately from here on out. Plus cleaning a bunch at one time is a pain!

I used to get that white film on my bottles too after soaking overnight and rinsing with hot water. Then I read the instructions and they say to rinse with cold water. I've found this leaves them squeaky clean with no white residue.

After using oxyclean I generally do a dilute vinegar soak to pull off any deposits. Probably not necessary but it gives me peace of mind.

I noticed the same thing. It even leaves a film on the stainless sink in the kitchen. I have used star san to remove it. I leaves the film on bottles even if rinsed quickly after washing. The real oxyclean does not do that with my water. Not sure what the difference is.

In the interest of economy, I too suggest a rinse with el cheapo white vinegar followed several rinses with water, until the vinegar odor is gone, rather than "wasting" :) star-san.

Back