Keg and Bucket fermeter cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
So I am looking at old threads and found one for a DIY PBW recipe. It is 6lbs of Sun Oxygen Cleaner (11.59), 4lbs of Red Devil TSP/90 (13.74) and 2.5lbs of 7th Gen dishwashing detergent (14.43). Even rounding up it's a bit over 40 bucks. This will give me about 12 pounds of product. I just searched Morebeer and a 5 pound container of Alkaline Brewery wash is 40 bucks. Am I missing something? I don't mind spending the bucks, but if I can do it myself for way cheaper, why not. LOL. And, to be honest, I really enjoy the DIY of this hobby, so that plays into it as well. Thoughts?

Switch to oxyclean free. It's like 3 bucks a pound. Not as strong but if you keep your stuff clean it shouldn't been a problem. I use pbw on new equipment or really dirty equipment. Or once or twice a year on normal equipment.

You could try regular oxyclean which is like 2 bucks a pound at Costco but I've heard mixed reviews on fragrance. I've never had a problem with oxy free

I just used some PBW I got from a friend on my chiller, soaked in 160F solution for a while and damn, it got that sucker nice and sparkly clean with a little bit of wiping (not scrubbing) and rinsing. Makes me wonder if my oxyclean/red devil mix isn't quite up to snuff as I'd like. I don't use the 7th Gen dishwashing detergent, guess I didn't know about that.

Latest posts

Back