Cheap gimmick sampler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumb?

• Yes, but I like it

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Yes, you fool

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No, but I've seen better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I love it

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Why the nose hair?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lampy

Reaction score
I let most of my fermentations settle in 1 gallon carboy jugs, meaning that getting a sample without mixing in the detritus can be irksome because I have refused to buy any new gadgets and I don't want to clean up my whole auto siphon just to get an ounce or two for tasting.
Thus... my reused plastic water bottle sampler:
bottle sampler.png

All I need to clean is the little piece of tubing (and my hands) before I slip the tube into the drilled bottle cap, put the other end into the top of my fermentation, then draw air BY MOUTH through the small hole I cut in the side of the bottle. Apart from the bottle crumpling a bit this worked so well that I accidently drew up like a half-glass instead of just a couple sips... oops!

Depends on how big a sample you want. You could just lower the tube into the carboy, put your finger over the end and then take tube out release your finger and the sample will be released.
Your gimmick appears to be similar to a pooter for catching small insects.

I bought a couple of 100ml syringes off Amazon for pretty cheap that let me take hydrometer samples very easily. Your inventiveness is commendable though, I feel you could easily use that method to start a siphon if an autosiphon wasn't available.

Depends on how big a sample you want. You could just lower the tube into the carboy, put your finger over the end and then take tube out release your finger and the sample will be released.
Your gimmick appears to be similar to a pooter for catching small insects.
Whenever I tried that method the surface tension broke and my sample just drizzled back out, making a mess.

Latest posts

Back