Fermentation Elevation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lampy

Reaction score
I'm not new to fermentation, but alcohol creation is my latest interest.
My first fermented food was sour dough, STARTerING (get it??!) about 5 years ago. In that time I have dabbled to varying degrees in fermented pickles, homemade yogurt, sauerkraut, tepache, dry aging, and now alcoholic beverages.
After a very dull Friday at work last month I went to my LHBS and picked up a 2 gallon bucket, siphon tube, and yeast. I also bought an auto-siphon online then later picked up 1 gallon Musselmann's apple juice at Walmart. I mixed about 3/4 lb of honey into the juice and then sprinkled a bit of dry yeast on top. Soon it was merrily bubbling! (yes, I cleaned everything before use)
Now that cyser (does it count as cyser with only 3/4 lb of honey per gallon?) has been mostly consumed, apart from one 750mL bottle that is in its 3rd week of aging.
I am now doing a black tea + citrus mead that needed a bit of encouragement to get going but has been steadily bubbling for about 5 days. I have invested in a hydrometer and secondary fermentation vessels in the mean time. I will probably let this mead go dry and still.
My next planned ferment is using a mix of store-bought cranberry-pineapple and apple juices with re-pitched yeast from the mead. I plan to also use this cider/wine as a chance to test plastic soda bottles for carbonation until I get my hands on more swing tops.

Welcome to the hobby, and the forum.

I have used plastic soda bottles in a pinch, they work fine. Saving beer bottles is the best way to find something to bottle in, but many homebrewers still love swing tops.

A lot of those commercial fruit juices can produce some tasty fermented creations. I have a black cherry juice mead that's been aging for 6 months now, produced with juice and honey from Aldi. Just watch out for ones that contain preservatives that might inhibit fermentation.

It seems you've made the rounds when it comes to fermenting things, you'll have to give cheese a try next!

Welcome to the hobby, and the forum.

I have used plastic soda bottles in a pinch, they work fine. Saving beer bottles is the best way to find something to bottle in, but many homebrewers still love swing tops.

A lot of those commercial fruit juices can produce some tasty fermented creations. I have a black cherry juice mead that's been aging for 6 months now, produced with juice and honey from Aldi. Just watch out for ones that contain preservatives that might inhibit fermentation.

It seems you've made the rounds when it comes to fermenting things, you'll have to give cheese a try next!
Thanks for the welcome (and tips)! So far I have stuck with my two swing tops and otherwise kept my ciders still. Cheese might have to wait until I have slowed down on liquid fermentations.

Latest posts

Back