Charcoal Filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeDrewBrew

Reaction score
Hello

Im thinking about buying a Charcoal filter water kit for my brewing mainly cause well my tap water is highly Chlorinated and chlorephenol and when i dilute with RO its still tastes off.Mouthfeel,flavourwise even with added salts.

My RO system is a 5 stage and its been updated with filters and membranes but i cant describe any more than its strips TOO MUCH out and im left with descent water but very muddled and tasteless beers.

My darker beers arent too bad but when i even cut them with 25%-40% RO again the muddled taste,no flavours pop out.(even with added salts).

When i go full tap on beers(ipas,darks) they taste harsh and minerally and mediciney for the darker styles.
When i cut them with my ro their lacking flavour totally!

So would the Charcoal help my dilemma here?.

Thanks

Also my city tap water report is attached in the Stout Water Profile thread in the main brew science thread.

Charcoal filters don't serve much useful purpose in brewing. Sounds like you should be treating your tap water with Campden tablets to get rid of the chlorine byproducts. And you'd benefit from some mash pH and mineral level estimates using one of the water calculators (Bru'n Water, Brewer's Friend, MpH). It sounds like you're hunting and pecking at various combinations and not hitting any targets dead on.

If it were me, I'd brew solely with my RO water, using gypsum, CaCl, baking soda, and lactic acid as additives to achieve proper pH and mineral profiles. (In fact, that's essentially what I do, using distilled water)

Ive been using Camden and also using bru N water and mash ph strips.
Maybe im just not a fan of the softer water mouthfeel?.
I enjoy the tap mouthfeel better.

Latest posts

Back