chaptalize question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
I am going to start a 6gallon Cab kit tomorrow.

I am expecting a 1.090 SP which gives me a potential alcohol of 12.2

I have looked at the table, and I need about 36 oz of sugar to bump it to 14.9

I was planning on adding the water/sugar combo on day 3 or 4 of fermentation as not to overtax the baby yeasties.

Does this sound alright?

Thanks in advance.

I did a port kit recently the called for chapitization. For that kit you let the wine ferment for about 7 days before adding the sugar.

Does the kit call for the sugar or are you just wanting a higher alcohol content? Which kit are you making?

Reserve Du Chateau 6 Week Wine Kit, California Coastal Cabernet Sauvignon, 55-Pound Container,

I am looking to bump the alcohol 3%

Reserve Du Chateau 6 Week Wine Kit, California Coastal Cabernet Sauvignon, 55-Pound Container,

I am looking to bump the alcohol 3%

Why? The reason I ask is because those wine kits are "balanced" pretty well to make the kit. The acids, tannins, etc, are all ready. If you add sugar, you change the body and the balance of the alcohol/tannin/acids.

A 1.090 OG wine should finish at .990, giving you an ABV of 13%. Depending on which yeast strain you have, the yeast might not go much higher and leave you with a too-sweet cab. Or, it might ferment out completely to 17 or 18% (depending on the amount of sugar you add) and make a big high alcohol cab that tastes like jet fuel for 3 years.

Unless you're highly experienced with kits, particularly big red kits, I would simply do the kit as packaged and settle for 13% ABV, a perfectly fine ABV for a nice cab.

Why? The reason I ask is because those wine kits are "balanced" pretty well to make the kit. The acids, tannins, etc, are all ready. If you add sugar, you change the body and the balance of the alcohol/tannin/acids.

A 1.090 OG wine should finish at .990, giving you an ABV of 13%. Depending on which yeast strain you have, the yeast might not go much higher and leave you with a too-sweet cab. Or, it might ferment out completely to 17 or 18% (depending on the amount of sugar you add) and make a big high alcohol cab that tastes like jet fuel for 3 years.

Unless you're highly experienced with kits, particularly big red kits, I would simply do the kit as packaged and settle for 13% ABV, a perfectly fine ABV for a nice cab.

I guess you're right Yoop. The starting gravity is projected to be 1.075-1.090. If it's less than 1.090 I will add to bring it there.

I would not want to throw away the 90 bucks because of a science experiment. :)

Back