Changing Burner Pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilotdane

Reaction score
I brew using a two burner camp stove. The burners are rated for 60k btu and it came with a traditional gas grill 10in/hg regulator. The burners look identical to the Bayou Classic ( http://bayouclassicdepot.com/bg12_cast_iron_burner.htm.htm ). My house is plumbed for propane and I have 2psi and 10in/hg propane available in my brew area.

The burner works OK/properly on the lower pressure but it can take quite a while to bring everything up to a boil, especially since the only water available in my brew area is unheated well water. I've run the burner on 2psi and it works but it does not look too efficient. The base of the flames are a good inch above the burner. Anyone have thoughts about drilling more flame holes in my burner? Probably in the center where there are currently no holes.

In theory you could drill some 1/8" holes on the edges of the arms, but the gain would not be that dramatic. Have you reduced the air into the burner to where the tips of the flames turn yellow?, this is the most heat efficient point for the burner, more air gives clean flames but the heat blows away from the work faster with lower overall efficiency.

Back