Changes during ageing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKuhns

Everything learned in Kindergarten still applies!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been fermenting Mead for a number of years and observed a couple of things that i am wondering if others have noted.

In virtually every case. (Straight Meads, Melomels and Cysers.)
- Mead always gets better with age. (Goes without saying, but I said it anyway.)
However:
- When young <9 to 12 months - its almost always better chilled or slightly cool. After ageing >12 months in my opinion is best at or just below room temp.
- Depending upon the Mead and how I handled the ferment it does get significantly smoother and better at 6 - 9 months yet at 12 to 18 months I often notice it has a little "bite" gets a little fusel or acid harshness that comes through again and then in 3-6 months smooths back out. BUT, after is significantly better.

I am wondering if others have noticed similar phenomenon and have an opinion as to what could be going on?
- I suspect in both cases above it has something to do with the Acid and or pH, tanens or fusels changing or converting over time.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts and or own observations.

To forego the obvious questions...
- I always do 5 gallon batches and keep in Tertiary with no head-space for 120 days or more.
- I primarily use Cotes Des Blanc Yeast but occasionally do D47 or EC 1118.
- I ferment to completion and do not sorbate etc to inhibit the yeast or add anything to sweeten my Meads.
- My OG is 1.120 to 1.125 and end up usually dry to just off dry 0.996 to 1.004 FG. Making a pretty high ABV.
- I always clarify to crystal clear using KC Super Kleer (Or similar), time and cold crash. Then bottle still in beer bottles with crown caps.
- I always add some kind of Tennen (tea to primary and or Oak chips to secondary)
- Occasionally add a small amount of an acid blend.

This is all interesting, and I don't really have much to add, as I'm rather new to the mead game. I've read that acid can react with fusels over time resulting in their transformation to esters, which may be what's behind the smoothing you describe.

One question does come to mind: I gather you're not adding sulfites when you rack or before you bottle (although correct me if I'm wrong). Have you successfully aged any of your meads well beyond 2 years or so? I've been led to believe that without sulfites, it's only a matter of time before spoilage will occur, but I'm not sure what the timeframe would be.

"I've read that acid can react with fusels over time resulting in their transformation to esters, which may be what's behind the smoothing ".

Agree this might be the case, just have no evidence and wondering why it would not continue getting better vs. getting a bit "off" then better.

"I gather you're not adding sulfites when you rack or before you bottle (although correct me if I'm wrong). Have you successfully aged any of your meads well beyond 2 years or so? I've been led to believe that without sulfites, it's only a matter of time before spoilage will occur, but I'm not sure what the timeframe would be."

That's correct no additional sulfites / sulfates. But I do know some are produced in the fermentation process. With that said - I have been performing a bit of an experiment to see what happens to my Mead over 6 years and have reserved enough from each batch to test taste them each 6 - 12 months. I currently have four that are plus four years, six at plus two and three Years each. With more in the pipeline and although my pallet is not as refined as some and with the fact after a couple of years i only try them each 6-12 months. I personally do think they get a bit better each time I try them.

They are kept in the dark and in Amber beer bottles, air absorbing caps and at a constant 62 - 64 Deg F. I have read that some folks have expressed a concern for ageing more than two years in beer bottles. I just have not noted it.

Back