changed my mind on a secondary, how should I rack now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrozi_75

Reaction score
I'm using a 5 Gallon True Brew kit. Brewing a strong IPA. (yum)

I've been using only the primary the first few brews but figured I'd try a secondary to make the beer a little clearer. I intended to start in my spigot bucket, then transfer to the fermenter, then transfer back to the spigot for racking.

After I started fermenting in the spigot bucket I've read that using a secondary is a waste and a risk if there is no real reason for it. Now thinking I should just let the fermentation run its course and don't secondary. BUT, I'll need the spigot on my bucket when I rack. I'm on day 6. so...

Should I keep it in the bucket its in for the duration of the fermentation, then on racking day, transfer to the regular bucket, clean my spigot bucket, then transfer back into the spigot for racking.

OR should I go ahead and transfer to the regular bucket now.

Which has a lesser chance of over oxygenating?

If I transfer to a secondary, I wont be able to do it until day 7 at this point.

Thanks everyone! :mug:

Do you have some siphon tubing, and an autosiphon or a racking cane? That make racking super easy, and keeps any trub in the spigot out of the beer when you rack. I don't know otherwise how you are planning on transferring, as that part isn't clear to me at all.

I don't have a spigot on any of my fermenters, except for my bottling bucket, and it works great.

Edited to say that I really don't understand what you're asking about racking- transferring to rack, for example. "Racking" means siphoning via transfer. So I'm very confused here!

Do you have some siphon tubing, and an autosiphon or a racking cane? That make racking super easy, and keeps any trub in the spigot out of the beer when you rack. I don't know otherwise how you are planning on transferring, as that part isn't clear to me at all.

I don't have a spigot on any of my fermenters, except for my bottling bucket, and it works great.

Edited to say that I really don't understand what you're asking about racking- transferring to rack, for example. "Racking" means siphoning via transfer. So I'm very confused here!

Thanks Yooper,

If you look at the True Brew kit, it comes with two identical 5 gallon buckets, except one has a spigot for racking.

Normally with this kit you ferment in the fermenter bucket, then on racking day you use the siphon to transfer the beer into the bucket with the spigot at the bottom with added sugar, then rack out of that bucket. Its suggested that if you want to do a secondary, to use the spigot bucket first, then transfer the beer by the siphon to the regular bucket after about a week, then clean the spigot bucket to be ready to transfer back into it on racking day.

I think you are saying I could nix the spigot this time and just rack with the siphon? I could, so could I just add the sugar to the fermenter before I rack? The motion of the transfer usually mixes the added sugar automatically to the beer.

I primary for 4 to 6 weeks for almost every beer. You don't need to secondary for clearer beer. The beer doesn't know...or care what is in the bottom of the bucket. I'd leave it in the bucket for a month then bottle. Just my 2 cents.

I primary for 4 to 6 weeks for almost every beer. You don't need to secondary for clearer beer. The beer doesn't know...or care what is in the bottom of the bucket. I'd leave it in the bucket for a month then bottle. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, so when I bottle, can I transfer to one bucket, then back into the bottling bucket, or do I run an oxygen risk? If I keep it in the bottling bucket how should I add the sugar and be sure its distributed properly without kicking up too much wort?

Thanks, so when I bottle, can I transfer to one bucket, then back into the bottling bucket, or do I run an oxygen risk? If I keep it in the bottling bucket how should I add the sugar and be sure its distributed properly without kicking up too much wort?

You should definitely transfer out of the bucket, to avoid mixing up all the trub with the priming solution.

I don't do many secondaries at all, but if you're ever going to do one, don't use a bucket. It has a very wide headspace.

With the equipment you have, I'd use the bucket (without a spigot) as a fermenter, and the bucket with a spigot as a bottling bucket.

In any case, right now your beer is in your bottling bucket so you can transfer out of it when you go to bottle by racking to a new container and then racking back into your bottling bucket (with a spigot) into which the priming solution has been added. You may risk a bit of oxygen pickup, but that's about all you can do for this time.

You should definitely transfer out of the bucket, to avoid mixing up all the trub with the priming solution.

I don't do many secondaries at all, but if you're ever going to do one, don't use a bucket. It has a very wide headspace.

With the equipment you have, I'd use the bucket (without a spigot) as a fermenter, and the bucket with a spigot as a bottling bucket.

In any case, right now your beer is in your bottling bucket so you can transfer out of it when you go to bottle by racking to a new container and then racking back into your bottling bucket (with a spigot) into which the priming solution has been added. You may risk a bit of oxygen pickup, but that's about all you can do for this time.

Thank, I normally don't ferment in the bottling bucket but someone suggested doing it so I can use the fermentation bucket as a secondary.

I'll transfer to the ferment tomorrow and hope for the best.

CHEERS

Thank, I normally don't ferment in the bottling bucket but someone suggested doing it so I can use the fermentation bucket as a secondary.

I'll transfer to the ferment tomorrow and hope for the best.

CHEERS

Don't transfer untill your fermentation is complete. Two to three stable hydrometer readings over the course of three to four days will tell you when the fermentation is complete. Transferring to early may stall the fermentation and leave fermentable sugars in your beer.

Don't transfer untill your fermentation is complete. Two to three stable hydrometer readings over the course of three to four days will tell you when the fermentation is complete. Transferring to early may stall the fermentation and leave fermentable sugars in your beer.

I didn't see this until after I already transferred.

I did it on the 7th day, there was still some CO2 action coming out of the airlock. I did it slowly while trying to get as little oxygen as possible in it.

The next day I'm happy to say I still have some action through the airlock, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

You could have always bottled from your fermenting bucket, you just need a racking cane as said above and a bottling wand. None the less I'm sure it'll turn out good. Now you'll have the ease of a spigot.

You could have always bottled from your fermenting bucket, you just need a racking cane as said above and a bottling wand. None the less I'm sure it'll turn out good. Now you'll have the ease of a spigot.

If I were to do that, how do I effectively mix the the priming solution without stirring up too much sediment? Usually the transfer action into the bottling bucket disperses the solution evenly enough.

If I were to do that, how do I effectively mix the the priming solution without stirring up too much sediment? Usually the transfer action into the bottling bucket disperses the solution evenly enough.

I should have been more specific. I reached this post after you had already racked it over from the bottling bucket to the primary bucket, but in doing it with a cane and wand, you would have added the priming solution to the primary bucket prior to racking, same as you would with the bottling bucket. I have heard of people adding the the priming solution straight into the beer and then gently stirring, but I would not recommend doing this. Too much risk and it's difficult to insure equal distribution if primer. So at this point, if you already have it in the primary you can just add the primer to the bottling bucket and rack into that (as I believe that's what you are planning). Thus bottling with ease of the spigot.

Good luck.

I it were me at the start of this I would have simply racked to the Primary Bucket with some priming sugar and then racked it right back back into the bottling bucket as soon as you've cleaned and sanitized it. It's a small amount more work and a *slight* amount of potential oxidation, but if you are gentle it should work fine. And you have the advantage of really making sure the priming sugar gets mixed in good.

I agree with Yooper. A secondary isn't really necessary for most beers, but if you do use a secondary, it's much better to use a carboy or any vessel with limited headspace.

Or, purge your headspace with CO2, which most people only have if they keg their beer.

Realized I never followed up with this. The beer came out ok, one or two were a bit flat, maybe from the priming sugar not dispersing quite evenly. I noticed the reduction in hop flavor from doing it this way, but still quite drinkable.

Back