Chances my first brew is skunked

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsForDays

Reaction score
I brewed a clone of Sweet Water IPA on Thursday night. Everything went well and I put it in the corner of the living room as it is the coldest part of my house (I live in miami).

Long story short one of the windows was open and the carboy was exposed to indirect light for 2 days. The side that was exposed to the light was a much lighter brown then the back side. I put the carboy back in the box after I realized what was happening and it is no longer exposed to light.

What do you think the chances are that I ruined my first batch of beer?:mad:

Well, its not "ruined", but there is a real good chance that it did skunk. All you can do is wait and see how it turns out. you can always tell people its a Heineken clone.

It probably takes an hour or less to get some skunk flavor. A thick carboy won't have the entire amount fully exposed, so an hour probably won't be too drastic - but 2 days?.. yup.. - especially an IPA with lots of hop oils.

Thanks for the responses.

It has almost been a week. I tasted it with a friend yesterday, and we both didn't think that it had any skunky flavour or smell. Will this develop over time or is my beer ok?

You would notice it right away. If its not there, it won't develop unless more light hits the oils.

Back